Joker movie under heavy fire

https://nypost.com/2019/09/25/us-army-warns-about-possible-mass-shootings-by-incels-at-joker-screenings/

I’ve been worried about this. Some of the Joker related stuff that people post is insane. Incels are horrible.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if this movie gets pulled from hundreds of theaters.
And youse can kiss any academy awards away goodbye.

1 Like

I’ve seen people coming down on the movie for showing violence and having the Joker as the protagonist. I wasn’t aware incels use him as an icon, but I do think (without having seen the movie) it makes Joker look really sympathetic, which was weird to me. I’m basing all my information off the trailers, but at first I wasn’t even sure if he still kills people. It just looks like a movie about mental illness and a clown.

If there have been plans made that people are posting about, those people should be identified and dealt with. But the way people are complaining about the movie existing, I don’t agree with that. You can never control how people will interpret art. I don’t agree with censoring everything that has violence in it because we need art to vent our emotions that we don’t act on. We need art to explore our imagination and feelings. If people can’t watch a movie about a psychopathic clown without trying to hurt someone, THOSE people need to address their issues or be removed from our society. Nothing like denouncing the entire franchise for the actions of a few.

This is a reason why I didn’t want a joker movie. I don’t think we should be glorifying a person like Joker

5 Likes

It’s just a movie. I’m going to see it when it opens.

1 Like

I actually agree that it’s just a movie, however you guys are saying we can’t glorify the joker but we have glorified Harley Quinn and Venom, also there are many comics centered around villains (including the joker) and do you see any shootings at Comi-Con

I doubt the movie glorifies joker, I obviously haven’t seen it, but from interviews I feel I get the direction, but still, this is just a bad faith argument. We have a mass shooting problem now and the movie’s not out, with or without the movie there most likely would be no correlation to shootings. It’s just another way to blame things rather than the real problems. For years we’ve had many violent movies, many movies with a sympathetic main character who is also bad, and many more. Why all of a sudden now, joker is the seed for mass shootings. From the looks of it, it barely shows fire power being used in cool ways like many movies released this year, but yet it gets flak

2 Likes

Hang on, let me get this straight.

We’re condemning a movie that isn’t out yet, because of tragedies that might happen when it does come out, which are theoretically inspired by it, despite being hypothetically perpetrated by people who necessarily have not seen the movie, because it isn’t out yet.

Just… Just clarifying. I mean, really. I don’t even think this movie’s going to be good, but come on.

1 Like

I really think it’s just a movie.

1 Like

Didn’t this start because the US Army issued a warning based on social media posts they tracked?

In any case, I agree with both of Matches’ posts. I’d also wager that news outlets drawing a target on this film is more dangerous than the film’s actual content. There have been, and will continue to be, media with more violence and gun use than anything the Joker shares. Those who want to commit acts of mass violence are going to find their stage one way or another.

2 Likes

@ Anonymousbluebeetle

There’s a difference between Joker and Venom. Venom is an anti hero. Joker is a Villain. Harley is a weird hybrid that will change however DC needs her to and I don’t understand any hype around her. I concur with those that say glorifying the Joker isn’t a good idea. I also concur with those that point out this movie isn’t out yet, and may not portray him as someone to sympathize with. Let’s hope their right.

1 Like

I’m not trying to blame the movie for tragedies. I’m just saying that a movie with Joker as the protagonist is not a good idea. Joker as a character, is different from Venom or Harley. He is probably the most crazy villain in all of comic books.

5 Likes

I dunno, RedHood. There have been villains as protagonists in media for as long as it’s existed, I’d wager. Macbeth, Natural Born Killers, etc. Joker is just the latest. I think it’s hard to place judgment until we see how the film’s narrative plays out. A story can make you sympathize with a villain without putting their actions on a pedestal — my guess is that’s how this film would work.

I think its just ludicrous to blame a movie for someone’s actions. This is just lazy grandstanding by the media to drive clicks by stirring up anxiety and fear mongering.

Seems to be just another dirty trick to tank a DC film’s box office.

5 Likes

There’s no controversy like manufactured controversy. Otherwise, you might have to wait for it to happen on it’s own.

4 Likes

This whole thing is ridiculous and frustrating. I normally don’t post things that deal with controversial topics, but its really upsetting that this movie is getting attacked like this. There are SO MANY movies that depict violence and ones that showcase it as cool but they want to attack one of our DC movies. It seem funny that the message that they are focusing on is that it will promote violence for what ever that title is for certain people incels or something. We haven’t seen it yet but I think you could take away a positive message, that you should treat others with kindness and that we are products of our environment. It’s often seems people aren’t born bad but become so after facing horrible and injustice in there lives.

4 Likes

To be fair, the original item that started this is not mfg. The US military is not going to put out a warning to its folks, if it doesn’t think at least a credible threat potential exists.

2 Likes

And to be fair, the other great Joker movie is where another shooting happened. And it wasn’t a vague connection.

1 Like