[Lantern Corps] Blackest Night - Week 3 [6/15 - 6/22]

Greetings @LanternCorps!

We’re reading through Blackest Night. The plan is to read 3 or 4 issues a week. Please avoid spoiling anything from issues beyond this week. If you missed last week, you can check it out here

The issues for this week are:

Feel free to use any, all, or none of the questions below as discussion starters.

1. Did you have a favorite issue this week?
  2. Was anything surprising to see?
  3. Do you have a favorite Black Lantern?
5 Likes

Iron Man dies.

3 Likes

Read Green Lantern Corp 33-38 since they are marked as Prelude to Blackest Night. First time I read this I must have started way before Blackest Night actually began. The Alpha Lanterns are already a thing, the new laws are in place, and Kyle is starting on the mural. There’s quite a bit packed into these issue from the Sciencell riots to Mongul taking over the yellow lanterns. Haven’t started the 3 issues for this week yet, but I highly recommend going back to some early Corps issues if you are craving more, maybe even farther back than 33. There’s lots of excellent foreshadowing.

4 Likes
  1. Did you have a favorite issue this week?
    It’s hard for me to pick one issue. I read the entire saga as 1 large masterpiece. I love Hal and Barry’s interaction with each other. But then again, I love Kyle and Guys interactions. I always enjoy the stories with Soranik Natu. She has become one of my favorite lanterns over the years.

2. Was anything surprising to see?
    I have two things here. The first thing I found surprising was the way the black rings just tore thru everything in their path. Just utter destruction! The second one is kinda silly and forgive me if I’m outta line, but I was surprised to see how predominately they featured Soraniks boobs. It seems as if they are almost part of her super powers. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about boobs…just kinda caught me off guard.

3. Do you have a favorite Black Lantern?
    I’d like to say Firestorm, but I’m gonna go with Aquaman. Ralph and Sue are definitely in the running as well!

4 Likes

hey everybody! at the suggestion of another member, I’ll be joining you all in your reading of my favorite DC event of all time! I’ll catch up and then join in on discussion!

3 Likes

So, Blackest Night #1 is quite possibly my favorite comic issue. It goes from super creepy with Black Hand licking Batman’s skull, to a somber remembrance of all that have died, to the action of the arrival of the black rings. It’s rare to find a single issue that can go through such a broad spectrum of emotion, which amplifies this story about the emotional spectrum.

I also like how they showcase the Rouges. When I first read through this, I had no idea who they were so I lumped them in as “all the heroes are dead and the only names I know are Batman, Superman, and Martian Manhunter”. Reading it now, it shows how this not-crisis really affects everyone, heroes, villains, and average people together.

I’m also really enjoying going through this right after watching the Animated Series. You can really see all the pieces from the show falling into place as a setup for the potential Blackest Night. Scarred Gruardian, all the colors, Anti-monitor defeated, the only thing missing is having everyone be dead. Maybe that’s why there was no season 2…

2 Likes

I completely agree with you here. I mean, this looks so unnatural:

5 Likes

Exactly the image I was thinking of

2 Likes

This is Crucial for people Re-Reading! If this is your 2nd or 17th time around, COVER ALL BASES.
@GL-Batophobia is not our LEADER for nothing. This is is a suggestion Like if you jump out of a plane, I SUGGEST you wear a parachute!

1 Like

From an artistic stand point, THIS IS TERRIBLE, I dont want to nessassarily focus on her boobs in a post, but let’s talk Art Anatomy 101, How did the Right one,(our left) get through ALL THE STAGES. It had to be penciled, approved, Inked, approved, Colored, approved, Lettered, approved??? Come on! Who’s the editor on this?

2 Likes

The Rouges Secrect Graveyard and the comment’s raise the point of a Villain CAN be a Hero based on perspective, and It show’s Humanity in the Rouges and Snart’s Demand for Honor Amount Thieves, so to speak!

2 Likes

At the reccomendation of an nother member that has fallen behind in participating in his FAVORITE CLUB!!! Glad to see you Stretchable Sleuth!

2 Likes

Ralph and Sue are some of my favorites in the Universe, Them being Black Lantern’s is mixed cause I see it as sorta happy, REAL SPOILERBeast Boy and Terra , because I really digged there relationship story and having them together again does make me happy, yet, OMG! It’s Gruesome!

Blackest Night #1 without a doubt is an amazing issue, really introducing HOW intense the Black Lantern’s Control is. Oh man, SCAR!..
Screenshot 2020-06-20 at 8.31.28 AM

2 Likes

I have to agree with Aquaman, but explaining why requires future issues.

3 Likes

My favorite black lantern is Martian Manhunter. Hal and Barry are freaked out, because they know how powerful he is. He is a shapeshifting Superman who can get in your head. What is more frightening than that. Oh and now he has a ring. Yikes!

3 Likes

Ok… done with week 3… this one was longer because I’ve also been reading the prelude stuff and I’ve noticed that green lantern corps is wordy :rofl:

My favorite this week is blackest night #1… it gives great panels and so much more…
Ok, starting with going through the graveyards and memorials we get really really really great scenes, such as this one with the titans… this moment with Bart, it’s just so, like, heartbreaking…

Then next is where we get a look at the rouges secret graveyard… I was talking with @PR0FESS0RZ00M somewhere else about how much I love the concept of this… it shows the loyalty of the rouges and how they’re really a family… it shows how they’re different from other costumed criminals…

I also love this next scene as a JLI fan

Then, on to this scene with Kyle and Alan… Alan talking saying “look at how many we lost”, it really does work… it shows a different perspective in a way… also, this relates to one reason I think BN works so well, which is that so many characters had been lost beforehand… it really plays into that…

Another scene I like is the JL villain morgue…, it’s another scene to show you how many people had been killed off… and it works well plot wise…

And another favorite scene of mine, immediately after, With Barry asking how many they’ve lost… and the lantern construct Hal creates is just beautiful art wise… so much going on in the panel… it’s kind of fun to go through that panel trying to find all the different heroes there lol.

I also love this panel right here… especially because of that line… “ she made the atom feel small”… it just carry’s so much metaphorically… it’s just a generally great line…

I love this next panel here because of the art… seeing all the color enclosed into these circles lol… it’s very visibly appealing…

And then with the end… seeing all the black lanterns just gives ya chills…

Trying to remember everything, I would say the black lantern J’onzz… like the scope of his powers if that makes sense?

Definitely two of my favorite characters, Ralph and Sue…

(Sorry if some of my points don’t make sense… sometimes I get ahead of myself and only make half thoughts lol)

1 Like

The licking of Batman’s skull.

2 Likes
  • Did you have a favorite issue this week?

Of the three I would go with Blackest Night #1. It did a great job of showing the themes of the event and setting the tone and mood for the insane, horrific ride to come.

• Was anything surprising to see?

Considering that I was reading this event as it came out, not especially. I did have a thought as I was reading it that in a lot of ways, this event isn’t just for Green Lantern, but for a lot of Geoff Johns’ other books as well.

After all, we have The Flash dealing with coming back from the dead after the events of The Flash: Rebirth. We have some fallout from his runs on JSA and a hint of his Superman run in the death of Johnathan Kent. We get an emotional climax to the Carter/Kendra love story that was a big crux of Johns’ run on Hawkman.

While he would continue to do other stories in Green Lantern and a new Flash series, as well as Brightest Day, in a lot of ways this feels like a conclusion arc to Geoff Johns’ books during the Post-Crisis era.

• Do you have a favorite Black Lantern?

Right now I would go with Martian Manhunter, if only for just how OP the guy is now with the Black Lantern powers. Plz nerf! :laughing:

2 Likes

I gotta agree with that – Gleason has done some amazing work in comics, especially his run on Batman & Robin, but I feel like his GLC work is kind of a work in progress.

Eddie Berganza, and considering all the horrible crap that came out about him over the years, some of the bad anatomy and boob focusing makes a lot more sense…

3 Likes