[Legion Fan Club] Weekly Reader Week 32 11/27/19: Prophets, Omens and ..Computo Mash-up?”

[Legion Fan Club] Weekly Reader Week 32 November 27th, 2019:

Having just read 140 issues of Legion comics the past 31 weeks, we continue our Thanksgiving level literary Legion feast with this week’s [Legion Fan Club] Weekly reading selection:

The Legion Fan Club presents another Levitz / Giffen 1980’s production of perfection we like to call…“Prophets, Omens and …Computo Mash-up???
THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1980-) #307 – 312

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1980-) #307 – “The Prophet Shall Speak”
https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/the-legion-of-super-heroes-1980-307/6843d2ac-4114-4153-bf9e-dc9ff3042eb0

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1980-) #308 – Two teams of Legionnaires follow different trails that lead them to Khundia. DC Universe

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1980-) #309 – On the planet Khundia, one band of Legionnaires attacks the Prophet while the other, with Ambassador Relnic, must deal with the diplomatic fallout. DC Universe

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1980-) #310 – The Prophet’s warning has come true! DC Universe

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1980-) #311 – The Return of the long-dead Invisible Kid? DC Universe

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1980-) #312 – Brainiac 5 finally separates Computo from Danielle Foccart DC Universe

Enter your additional probing questions here on the wiki:

1. Which of these issues has your favorite artwork or scene?
  2. Which subplot is your fav this time around?

Next week is the monthly Wednesday Legion Watchalong, and we go back to the mid 70’s for more early Levitz-era fun!

2 Likes

… oh and as a special bonus… there’s a pre-crisis Superboy appearance inside!!!

2 Likes

Sweet! Looking forward to these tales, which are anything but turkeys. :wink:

1 Like

Loving this book club. It’s like a graduate seminar in the Legion, not just a linear chronological dive. Just joined last week, so I’ll be going back through the archive post to get all caught up with everyone.

1 Like

Welcome aboard! Thanks,well we’re almost one-sixth of the way through, 5 years to go.

2 Likes

Okay, wee bit late on this.

Overall, pretty decent stuff. It’s interesting that you talk about the subplots here because I feel like this is a thing for this book so far post Great Darkness, that really the main plot is just kind of the big action scene shoved in to make the more interesting subplots sellable. Which is a shame, because I feel like the Khund story could have been interesting if we didn’t have the Omen and Prophet characters butting in.

Which of these issues has your favorite artwork or scene?

I think my favorite bit of art in this is the psychedelic scenes with Dawnstar. Overall, I think this is where Giffen really starts to break away from the more standard, cleaner 80s style and he becomes more experimental, cartoony, starting to embrace this madcap Kirby/Ditko hybrid style that’s pretty cool to see.

Which subplot is your fav this time around?

I did like the stuff with Brainiac 5 and Computo, which is funny because we get to see more of the aftermath of that in Legionaires this week – it’s almost like you planned this thing out, @Don-El! :stuck_out_tongue:

Though I would say my most favorite was the whole exploration with Dawnstar and Wildfire becoming involved. I do think it’s odd that there’s all this talk about her finding her soulmate at the end of her journey, and when Wildfire shows up it’s sort of like “love as a friend.” I dunno, it just seems wierd to me that the creators here both make these two a big deal, two people who care deeply for each other, and then tear them down at the same time because they can’t make the beast with two backs.

Coincidence with Computo, but a happy one. Agreed with Omen and Prophet. It is funny how the subplots are far more intriguing.

I found the same thing with Steve Englehart writings by the way.

1 Like

I think the only thing from Englehart I’ve read was his Batman arc with Marshall Rogers and I’d agree on that. I don’t remember much of Strange in that, but I do remember The Laughing Fish and Silver St Cloud.

With Englehart’s earlier run with the Avengers , after Roy Thomas’s run… the main thing my wife and I can remember of it are the Scarlet Witch and Vision’s romance, Mantis and the Swordsman’s romance… those are the things I recall… I really can’t remember beyond Kang who they fought.