LIVE Q&A with Geoff Johns, Comic Book Writer, Television Producer, & Creator of STARGIRL! Thurs, 5/14 @5pm PT/8pm ET

Starting Thursday, May 14th at 5pm PT/8pm ET, we’ll be hosting a LIVE Q&A with the one, the only, GEOFF JOHNS!

QA-Box (1)
Geoff Johns is responsible for some of the most impactful and moving moments in modern DC storytelling. From Batman, to Superman, to The Flash, Green Lantern and the Justice League, Geoff Johns’ influence on the page is the stuff of legend. Off the page, Johns joins us most recently as Executive Producer and showrunner of the upcoming DC Universe series Stargirl, based on an original character of his own creation.

Today, Geoff Johns joins us to answer your questions about Stargirl and his comic book work- ask your questions in the comments below, and come back at 5pm PT/8pm ET on Thursday, May 14th to read his answers LIVE!

Please limit the number of questions asked to 1-2; this way, everyone has a chance to get a response in the limited time we have :slight_smile: Thanks!

Getting a craving to read Geoff John's work? Click the arrow for recommendations on DC Universe!
30 Likes

Welcome, Mr. Johns. I’m a huge fan of your work. You are basically the reason I’m a DC fan today.

So, my questions:

1. It looks like Stargirl’s teammates in the show are Rick Tyler, Yolanda Montez, and Beth Chapel: The second wave Infinity Inc. members. Was this a conscious decision and can we expect to see some of the original Infinity Inc. lineup in the future?

2. This one is related to comics. Back in 2018, you’ve announced The Killing Zone imprint at DC. I loved the idea behind it. But you and DC have been silent on that front ever since. Is the project dead or are you just waiting for the right time to launch it?

Thanks for stopping by. I can’t express how much I love your work. Stargirl premiere couldn’t come soon enough!

15 Likes

Thank you Geoff for taking the time to answer questions from the community! I am a huge fan of your work and can’t wait to see your vision of Stargirl become a reality with her new show!

I have two quick questions.

1. Among all your work, what is the one thing you are the most proud of?

2. In regards to your run on the Flash, I always loved how you used the Rogues. I thought they were some of the greatest group of villains in comics. Is there anything else you would like to have done with the Rogues in your story?

7 Likes

Hey Geoff! You’re the reason I’m into comics today, so thanks for stopping by to answer questions!

I just wanted to ask two really quick questions:

1. Has your favorite comic issue that you’ve worked on still Green Lantern #25? I remember you said a couple years ago that GL #25 was your favorite, but that must have changed, since DC Universe: Rebirth #1 and Doomsday Clock have all come out respectively.
  1. How much more of the Justice Society of America will we see in the upcoming future for both comics and media? I am pumped to see Stargirl (loved Stars and STRIPE/JSA), but man. I haven’t gotten much, if any content from the team since the New 52 reboot. They are my favorite team for the simple fact that their legacy rules above everything else.

I can’t thank you enough for the work you put in! Love ya Geoff!

7 Likes

Mr. Johns,

DC has recently experienced a high frequency of reboots and retcons, and you’ve been involved with many of them yourself. Fan reactions have been mixed, as they are wont to be, but I’m curious…

If you could go back in time, Barry Allen-style, and adjust the trajectory of the DC universe through these last two decades, how would you do it? Are there any retcons or reboots that you would have handled differently, for instance?

11 Likes

Hi, Geoff! Thank you so much for taking the time for this Q&A. It’s a real honor to get to ask questions of my favorite comic writer ever :smiley:

I have two questions for you:

1. How has your experience in writing comics helped in writing for television?
  2. Do you know if there are any plans to release all 12 issues of Doomsday Clock in a single collection?
1 Like

Good day to you Mr. Johns. Thank you very much for all of your hard work in all that you do in comics, tv, and movies as I have been enjoying them all that you’ve had a part in creating, and for your time to answer some of our questions. :superman_hv_4:

Very much looking forward to seeing Stargirl next week! I recently watched the Absolute Justice episode of Smallville again and was happy being reminded that you had written that episode as I enjoyed it very much. :sunglasses:

My question is, in writing this new story for Stargirl, did you happen to look back at how things played out then and how they might be different this time around?

Also, in your opinion, what is the craziest construct (under normal circumstances not including Lobo) a Green Lantern has ever constructed with their power ring, or would you like to see them construct if they haven’t done so already?

4 Likes

Howdy, Geoff! Your (exceptional) run of Doomsday Clock happened to eventually sync up with the release of the HBO series Watchmen; how did you feel about the series, especially in relation to your work with the Watchmen characters and universe?

5 Likes

Hello! I have long been a fan of your work. I started reading Green Lantern comics and Flash comics because of your work on them. My questions are:

1. Even though you killed my favorite character in it (Superboy), “Infinite Crisis” has been one of my all-time favorite stories ever since it was released in monthly format; if you could go back and change one thing about the story, what would it be?

2. If you were told that you could kill off one character and make it ‘stick’, who would you most like to write the death of?

3 Likes

Hi Geoff, huge huge huge fan!

1. I know you’re busy, but do you think you’ll be doing any convention apperences or book signings in the future? (I know conventions are up in the air right now) but I really wanna get my picture taken with you. Don’t care where, earth 2 comics, canada, portugal. I’ll find a way to get there.

2. Any plans to pick up some of the loose Ideas you’ve had on previous books? Like who was the villian that appered by black adam and Isis’s statues at the end of JSA? Or Booster gold meeting Brainiac five and falling through time? Or dare I hope Sinestro: secret orgin, showing his expulsion from GL corps?

Bonus question/ request: Any chance that we could get John Wesley shipp to play Jay Garrick for the stargirl series as well as the flash? I’m not sure how much sway you have over casting choices, but that would be awesome!

4 Likes

Geoff,

I am a big fan of all of the DC shows and universe. I am a huge fan of the Legion of Superheroes. Any chance a TV show might come along about them?
Thx

3 Likes

Hello Mr. Johns and thank you for taking the time to speak to us fans,
My questions for you are:

1. have there been any DC writers before you that inspired your work?
  2. will we be seeing any new characters that haven’t been introduced yet into the Arrowverse appear on Stargirl?
    Thanks again and I’m a huge fan of your work
3 Likes

Hello Geoff,
Thankyou so much for your time, and I’m a huge fan of your work! I can’t wait to watch Stargirl and here’s a couple of my questions…

1. With Stargirl having her own tv series will she and S.T.R.I.P.E have their own comic books again?
  2. First I wanted to say how sad and sorry I am about your sister, since Courtney Whitmore was based on her, What was it about her that help created Stargirl?
    Thankyou for your time.:slightly_smiling_face:
    One more thing I have to add, my most favorite part in Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E #3 page three, is when poor S.T.R.I.P.E was sitting on a ground and said to Stargirl that that she doesn’t like him and Stargirl said, “That’s so obvious!” I feel so sorry for Pat cause he try so hard to be a good stepfather. Also this series along with Smallville 2 part episodes got me into the JSA!:grinning::star2:
3 Likes

Hello Mr. Johns,
I am looking forward to watching Stargirl when the show comes out. My two questions deal with another DC Character who you are currently writing: Shazam!/Captain Marvel. I own and have read you New 52 take on the character and the current run on the character. I enjoy you story very much and look forward to seeing where it goes. My questions are as followed:
Question 1: Why was his name changed to Shazam!?(who made that call?)
Question 2: Do you think he will every go back to being Captain Marvel again?

Thank you

2 Likes

Geoff! It’s so great to have you here! Thanks for stopping by our community. I’ve got so many questions, but I’ll stick to two:

1. My favorite of your many runs in your time at DC was your extremely underrated “Booster Gold, Time Master” arc following 52. Given more time and space, or if you were to return to Booster and Skeets at some point, what other eras and challenges would (have) await(ed) Booster?

2. One thing I was waiting for in DOOMSDAY CLOCK but never quite came together in a big way was the potential of the Watchmen characters to have an existential confrontation with their Charlton counterparts (particularly, as a Question fan, Rorschach and Vic). While you did include the Charlton Crew in the story during the big Mars Battle, I was wondering if you ever had a larger role for them in mind?

5 Likes

Wow! First of all, I want to say thank you for doing this. I have been reading your stuff since I was like four and it has shaped my life completely. In the fall I’m going to college for a degree in creative writing, and that’s in no small part due to your work and the impact it has had on my life. I wanted to make sure I said that before I got into the questions because of how much your work has meant to me over the years, and if nothing else, it was important to me that you knew that. Now:

1. Can you tease your next comic project (after the eagerly anticipated Three Jokers) in ten words or less?
  2. 52 fascinates me because of how impossible it should have been, yet how perfect it turned out. So what was the writing process like for that? Were you getting together in person with your co-writers/editors/Kieth Giffen on a weekly basis? Did you plot forward a month or two in advance and then communicate through emails and phone calls when writing your individual pieces? Or was it something else entirely?

Again, thank you so much for doing this! I hope you are doing well and staying safe, and I can’t wait to watch Stargirl and see whatever brilliant work you come up with next.

5 Likes

Hi Geoff, thank you for doing this!
My question is, Are there any characters you haven’t had a chance to write (either in comics or tv) that you want to write eventually?

4 Likes

Hey Geoff, Thanks for being here on this sad day in comic book history. I didn’t prepare questions, but do you still have your lucky GL cap? Highball

Hi Geoff, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

1. The Three Jokers, what motivated you to work on this series?
  2. Will we see Garth aka Aqualad in the next Aquaman film?
6 Likes

Hello Mr. Johns,
I just wanted to say; Stars and STRIPE is still one of my favorite superhero comics. At the time it came out, and even now on a revisit, it felt remarkably unique and fresh. I suppose my question is fairly simple: do you ever see yourself doing more comics with Courtney? I’d love to see more of her in the current DCU lineup. Thanks for answering!

3 Likes