[New to DCU] Comics Coming 9/10/19 AND my DCU: Year One Thank Yous and Announcements!!

Hey everyone!! It’s that time again. New comics, new digitized comics, and of course New Book Clubs!!!
The format as always is

1. New to DCU

2. Newly Digitized

3. The Big Stuff this week

4. Starting Points

5. Starting Volumes

6. Ending Volumes

7. DC Universe Year One Celebration

8. New to DCU
    Phase 1 (2016-Dark Nights: Metal Continuity)
    Curse of the Brimstone #6
    Deathstroke #35
    The Unexpected #4

Phase 2 (Justice League: No Justice)
Adventures of the Supersons #2
Batman #54
Green Arrow #44
Greens Lanterns #54
Harley Quinn #49
Justice League #7
Nightwing #48

Misc.
Death of Superman Part 1: #4

Not coming to DCU but One year ago:
Border Town (Vertigo and Horrible Person writing)
Cover #1 (Jinxworld)
The Dreaming #1 (Sandman Universe)
United States vs. Murder Incorparated #1 (Jinxworld)

Newly digitized
Bruce Wayne: The Road Home: Oracle #1
Deadman: Dead Again #5
Detective Comics #324
Doom Patrol #15 and #16
Hourman #21
House of Mystery #178
House of Secrets #109
Superman (1939) #2
Superman’s Girl friend Lois Lane #14
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #1

1. The Big Stuff this Week
  • Justice League #7 is the conclusion of Vol.1 The Totality and boy does it go out with a bang. The Ultraviolet lanterns corps of the entire earth, slow force is strengthening and what’s Manta and Cheetah doing?

• Batman #54 is the beginning of arguably the most controversial arc in Batman’s Run but #54 is a WONDERFUL story about Dick and Bruce.

-Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen (1954) #1 THAT’S Right! A Digitized Comic made this list. Just as goofy as Lois Lane, check it out for all that golden age goofiness.

4.Starting Points
None this week sorry to disappoint BUT check out The Adventures of Supersons #1-2

1. Starting Volumes
    NONE

2. Ending Volumes
    Justice League: Totality
    Justice League #1-7

Deathstroke vs. Batman
Deathstroke #30-35

The Curse of the Brimstone: Inferno
The Curse of the Brimstone #1-6

Harley Quinn: Harley Quinn vs. Apokolips
Harley Quinn #41-49

1. DC Universe: Year One Celebration

To Celebrate DC Universe Year One, I’m excited to announce:

-Rebirth Reading Order will be available on DCU with Community 2.0 (Hopefully at launch) through a wiki.

-I’m excited to announce that I’m celebrating DCU: Year one with an interview with JL and Matt McDonald about DCU Book Club on Fans of DC Universe. (We’ll save a little time for Titans S2E2).

-Finally, I’ll be posting a video on the Fans of DC Universe Youtube about my year one thoughts and other fun stuff.

-ALSO That’s right I’m not done I’m doing request for additions to the reading order. Give me a favorite character and I’ll create a reading order with their list of appearances from Rebirth.

-ALSO Fans of DC Universe Podcast will come to Apple Podcast THIS WEEK!

AND I’ll be in the Celebration of DC Video on Friday (Face Reveal).

I want to give a big thank you to a bunch of people!!

1. Don-el has been a member of the DCU Book Club Server since founding and also is constantly on it giving us WONDERFUL discussion and is a wonderful person to talk to on Fans of DC Universe. He also organized an awesome meetup in Chicago at Wizard-Con!! How can you not love that!! Don-el also manages the Youtube and Soundcloud ports of Fans of DC Universe.

2. Nu52 helps by hosting Fans of DC Universe when I can’t be there. She also is a wonderful person who has so much passion.

3. Toonatonian, AquamonC137, DukeCT45, Mel, and Nora have all supported the Fans of DC Universe Podcast and deserve a big thank you!!

4. Applejack and the entire moderation team, have sent SO much support and help my way. Applejack’s transparency with the fans sets an example I wish every company should follow. Being able to reach out with questions, time and time again is so wonderful.

5. Thank you to Matt McDonald and JL who help lead arguably the pinnancle of the DC Universe Community. Their Book Club created the Discord which helped create the legion book club and SO many others. The Book Club is the reason this podcast even exist.

6. HubCityQuestion has shown the power this community has with his constant posts, breakout moments, and SO much more. He is SO supportive and I can’t thank him enough for his activeness and articles!!

7. Lastly, thanks to everyone who uses the discord. I can’t tell you how many times, I’ve woken up and 100 comments are made and I get to smile seeing you guys talk to each other. It’s such a joy talking and I’m so glad a chat like this exists!!

Thank You!!
-Nathan.Payson
(Your friendly neighborhood reporter)

https://www.landolakes.com/RecipeManagementSystem/media/Recipe-Media-Files/Recipes/Retail/x17/16714-birthday-cake-600x600.jpg?ext=.jpg

9 Likes

Booyah

1 Like

Thanks as always Nathan.Payson!

Did someone just say Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen number one from the 50s being digitized tomorrow??? Did I just die and go to Heaven?

You do great work Nathan!

@Don-El I put it in Big Releases for YOU!

Yes, let me join Nu52 and Matt in thanking you again Nathan for the energy and talent you bring to the DC Universe Community and also the “sister” Discord channel! When the monthly group watchalong for Legion of Superheroes gathers the first Wednesday of every month, I at times comment that the character Brainiac 5 reminds me of you, and I mean it in the best way: you are a genius level comic book fan, and your buddies on DCU and Discord reap the benefits of that!

Around a year ago, when the DCU Book Club formed, I suggested you Matt and I communicate and plan via email. You immediately said “no” and instead created the Discord channel for us to chat…and now, around 200 users later, here we are!

Now back to picking which of these newly-digitized beauties to read this week…

…Justice League and the 4 from the 50’s / 60’s will fill the bill. I already read Batman #54 (and just sold it as part of a group of Batman comics on eBay after reading). You are correct, that and the next issue are a great Nightwing tribute.

@Nathan.Payson
You have done a stellar job with your informative DCU posts and in maintaining, growing, and leading Discord. It has been a delightful and helpful companion to DCU! Congratulations on launching the podcast - it is very entertaining. I look forward to stopping by this week!

@Don-El Your warmth and hospitality during the weekly chats was one-of-a-kind and helped to bring voices and people together. Thanks for all you do!

1 Like

Thanks JL.

Now that we have two voice rooms on the Discord channel, groups can do live audio chat while the podcast is being recorded if they like. I do miss the weekly vocal chat we did for 7 or 8 months right after the DCU Friday night watchalongs, I have a feeling that will be returning soon!

1 Like

Justice League #7: my favorite of the past 7 issues! The story conclusion made good fictional world logic and sense, and is satisfying, while at the same time setting the stage for the bigger plot. I’m not convinced I’ll be all in for where this is headed, but this issue at least is satisfying from a story and art perspective, and it’s good understanding of the main hero and villain characters featured.