Pacifists in DC Comics

I am not sure if Batman or Superman would be considered pacifists since in Batman: TAS, he tries to evade blows and only fights when it is smart and to knockout the criminal; and Superman usually will let criminals try their tactic before lifting them up and taking them to prison. Another seemingly pacifist is Saint Walker who, in Green Lantern: TAS, let Razer try to attack him, dodged his attacks, and then tapped him to knock him out.

Anybody know of any others? Or if these heroes would be considered pacifists?

1 Like

Whoa, great question! With pacifism usually going hand-in-hand with non-violence, that feels like an impossibility. While not quite a superhero, I do recall Destruction from the Sandman books as someone I might identify as a pacifist.

That being said, I am watching The Last Airbender, and while Aang is definitely forced to fight, I would think of him as a pacifist. I’m going to need some time with this one!

1 Like

I know there are games like Deus Ex where Adam Jensen can have a complete pacifist run, and Deus Ex has some DC Comic Licensed Imprints, but I think it would be cool to identify those opposed to violence.

Aang was my favorite character from the Last Airbender, but I have not watched the show in a long time, nor have I watched the movie.

Thank you for your response.

1 Like

Given how many appendages and other things Batman has bent and broken on various scumbags, and the ferocity of his attacks and how quickly he jumps into fights, I would say he is not a pacifist.

Superman can usually just wait out attacks if they’re from common criminals, so in that regard he’s pacifist-esque. When it comes to enemies that pose a challenge and need to be dispatched toot sweet, he won’t hesitate to throw a punch.

I think Saint Walker and other BL’s are pacifists, given that peace is part of the makeup of their respective corps.

Would Dr. Manhattan be a pacifist?

2 Likes

To clarify, while Manhattan may have instigated certain things (elements of Rebirth, Doomsday Clock) he also seems to shy away from combat too.

I was wondering the same thing too @Vroom, about Dr. Manhattan. But is being detached and disaffected the same thing as being a pacifist?

1 Like

Mary Marvel is a huge pacifist, Billy as well. Mary is the more of the 2 tho imho. She’s so innocent she even feels bad hurting villains to protect herself. The Superman call is definitely accurate in stas. I love it when he says what we have here is a rare chance for me to cut loose. He seems to test out & gauge an opponents strength & if he realizes they can take what they dish out he goes for it. As in his battle with Kaliback, Darkseid & Brainiac in stas. Batmans also a good point, not much to add to that besides I agree with you.

1 Like

Leslie Thompkins is a pacifist.

2 Likes

. The Batman has never been a pacifist. He’s currently an emotional wreck (thanks to King), but not a pacifist.
. Superman always uses restraint because he could easily kill most opponents when it comes to blows. The best Superman stories have always highlighted brains over brawn. Silver Age Superman punched Lex Luthor once when they were trapped on a red-sun planet. Every other time they clashed, The Man of Steel would beat Luthor at his own game by out-thinking him.

Don Hall the original Dove.

7 Likes

Dr Manhattan is definitely NOT a pacifist. He had no qualms about killing VC, he didn’t stop the Comedian from murdering an innocent woman in front of him and he kills Rorschach at the end of the series.

1 Like

Raven is a Pacifist. She studies & practices Pacifism in TNTT comics.

2 Likes

According to tropes, so are Dick Grayson and Tim Drake.

I know some people do not consider evasive techniques as part of pacifism, but it is an offensive maneuver. Eventually, if very efficient at evading, the opponent will be worn out, meaning violence was only desired by one of the two parties involved.

1 Like

abfgmsw

I was actually thinking along the same lines as far as TNTT characters. They repeatedly remind each other & new recruits that violence is a last resort. I just mentioned Raven alone cuz it literally says in TNTT 1980 issues that she studies & practices pacifism right on the page. You know how it can be with people arguing opinions, which is their right. So I chose her b/c I knew I could post pics straight from the comics themselves stating she’s a pacifist. You’re absolutely right tho, they are all either pacifists or being trained to be despite their views b4 they joined, and violence is always their last option & only when forced upon them.

1 Like

I don’t know if Gandhi lives in the DC universe but I will go with him lol.

1 Like

@djd187.81432 Raven is just awesome. Not only is she a complex character, but her value for life makes her all the more awesome.
I am familiar with her through the Titans shows and through some video games like Injustice and DC Legends, but I am looking forward to reading about her in the comics.

1 Like

And the animated movies- I knew I was missing some appearances of her.

1 Like

abfgmsw

Sorry I read entire run of TNTT. Been off threads for a few days. I’m totally with u. I just read a ton of Teen Titans & Raven is an amazing character. Been one of my faves since the 80’s & Zatanna. I’ve never had access to read entire TNTT run b4 I couldn’t stop lol. I love characters with dual personalities like Raven. Characters with a dark side that they wrestle with makes it so much more intriguing to me.

1 Like

I’m a little bit envious that a lot of people have read about these characters whereas I have not. While there are some personal reasons, and I do have access, I just would rather read in chronological order (from the Silver Age then Bronze Age, and Then the New Teen Titans), but in order to do so, I would need to be caught up on all the sidekicks before they corralled to form the Teen Titans, and I am not there yet.
All I know is that Raven and Beast Boy are the heart and soul of the Teen Titans team.

1 Like

abfgmsw

Indulge in it. It’s such a great read. I here u on bronze & silver age. No better way to truly know a character. Beast Boys comic relief keeps the team balanced. Raven is fighting her soul self & enduring absorbing others pain throughout, so I wouldn’t argue that their the heart & soul in the purest definition of those 2 words. Grayson is the glue & Donna is the matriarch. Depending on time period, it gets to Cassie & Bunker, & Skitter, Miss Martian, Bombshell so many more. Stays entertaining throughout whole run tho.

1 Like