Putting Things in Perspective | What DCU Means to Me

Here’s what I’m thinking and my aim…

I’ve read a lot of posts recently from people who are disgruntled about DCU’s streaming service, heard a lot of complaints from people who are hot under the collar about the number of titles that were removed from the streaming library this month, and I’ve heard a lot of other negative posts from people who simply aren’t satisfied with what is available in the streaming library and from people who seem to think that the service is not what it should be.

If you happen to be one of the individuals I just mentioned, I want you to know that I respect your opinion because it is your right to have one. This is me expressing my personal opinion and I am not going to attempt to talk you into changing your opinions, that’s not what this post is about.

This post is about expressing what DCU’s service means to me and why it is so important to me.

Putting things into perspective…

We have officially reached the Digital Age of Comics. Digital comics are the standard now and many people, my self included, have made digital comics their primary reading format. In response, comic book companies have started providing “unlimited” subscriptions to their books, allowing readers to enjoy huge selections of comic books that we would have otherwise never had access to. Even if you could afford to buy a paper trade copy of every book in DCU’s reading library (which I doubt any of us could), how would you ever store, organize, and read them all in any kind of efficient manner?

I challenge everyone who is reading this to pause for a minute or two and really think about how incredible it actually is to have every comic book in DCU’s reading library available at your fingertips in as little time as it takes you to type what you are looking for into the search bar. And to think about all of the THOUSANDS of hours of manual labor that it took to individually digitize every one of those books.

Instead of paying $1-$5 (on average) per book, you now only have to pay $7.99/mo or $74.99/yr and you get to read as many of those comic books as you like, whenever you like, as many times as you like.

The epic conclusion…

No, DCU is not a streaming service that can compete with Netflix or HBO or Disney+ … it is something more than that, and to me, it is something much more important than that. Comic books are important to me. Reading comic books lets me relax, it lets me dive into stories that are meaningful to me, stories that I can relate to, it lets me escape from the rest of life’s craziness and gives me new worlds to explore. DCU has given me the ability to re-read cherished stories from my childhood and the opportunity to read all the new stories that I couldn’t read otherwise. DCU has given me the opportunity to pass on my love of comic books to my daughter. In short, it has become an invaluable part of my life and I am grateful to be a part of it.

If you feel so inclined to reply to this post, I encourage you to express why DCU matters to you. We’ve all spent a lot of time talking about and telling the developers what we would like to see in the future and what we believe needs to be fixed and that’s great. That’s an important function of this community. BUT here’s an opportunity to come together and let DCU’s staff and devs know what we love about them and how their work impacts our lives in a positive way.

5 Likes

Well said! Something tells me that I’m not going to be reading Marvel comic anytime soon and can’t afford Marvel Unlimited, I’m so thankful for DC Universe, not only do I get to read alot of comics, I get to go shopping in the online store, interact with fans and watch movies and TV shows! It’s been alot of fun and am thankful for it. I may not know what goes on behind the scene, but I’m sure they’re trying very hard to make this a great service for us, the fans. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

What an amazing and well thought out post. I too have made the switch to digital. Don’t get me wrong, I still have plenty of single issues and trades (with a few custom bound hardcovers I had made) but the reason I read mostly digital these days is due to space and price.

I moved into my first apartment a few years ago and space is always an issue. Any time I went to my local comic shop or a convention, I really had to think about whether I needed a certain comic and if I had the space for it. Digital solves that problem for me.

I think the benefit of the comics here on the service is the variety of titles that are on here and the thousands of comics that came in April. Let’s take something like the original run of Checkmate. To read all of them physically I’d have to either track them down in comic shops or pay for the whole run on eBay (and sometimes for books like this, not a lot of people would be selling the whole run; you’d have to piece it together) If I went the torrent route, you’d have to hope someone had the scans and they were good.

Here, many series that have been digitized And complete look great, but I can also do panel-by-panel view like in comixology.

Digital has its benefits.

3 Likes

@superby1, I can absolutely relate to what you said about trying to piece together a story arc or a series. In trade sometimes it can truly end up being impossible to find every issue, which is just the worst feeling! I was lucky enough to have a used comic book shop in my town for a good while (their shut down now :cry:) , which was a godsend when it came to finding old books (and when I say I was lucky, I mean it! I live in a very small town in a rural area and it was the only comic book shop of any kind for literally 100 miles!) But I digress, even with my used comic book shop, being able to read everything I wanted to read was still an impossibly before digital. And DC has always been my FAVORITE. It took them a little longer to get a subscription service going, but now that we have it, I can’t imagine life without it lol.

Thanks @Reaganfan78 and @superby1 for being the first to reply and help me express what DCU really means to us! I think that there are a lot of us out there who can say that DCU has made our personal lives better in some way or another :slight_smile: your support in my little show of appreciation here is great!

2 Likes

@CharlieSheensDealer You and the others hit it on the head. DCU for me is a place to interact with other comics fans, learn new and interesting stuff, and have a few laughs. I love that I have access to 20,000+ comics so I can explore titles and creators I’ve heard great things about but I haven’t got around to. The price of $7.99 a month is a great deal. For the price of a couple of coffees I get so much entertainment and enjoyment!

3 Likes