Reading ALL of the New 52

I’ve been reading the entire New 52 in order here on DC Universe and have been using this as my source to know what to read and in what order:

https://comicbookreadingorders.com/dc/new-52-reading-order-part-1/

So far I’m loving it. I didn’t really get into comics until about four years ago and my knowledge of DC was pretty limited to the tent pole characters like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. Reading the New 52 takes me to every corner of the DC Universe and introduces me to characters I never knew before - and in more than just a cameo. These characters get their own books, their own storylines and I’m enjoying absorbing it all.

Characters like:
Voodoo
Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E
O.M.A.C.
The Blackhawks
The Demon Knights
Team 7
The Shade

…and I’m not even halfway through the first part! Still over 1,500 books to go!

While I’ve enjoyed a lot of books so far last night I hit upon my favorite so far - Batwoman. The first five books of her 2011 New 52 run were outstanding. The artwork and layout was gorgeous. The characters were fascinating and compelling and this Bones guy from the DEO…I love him already. It was late when I started book #1 but I was hooked and had to finish the storyline before I went to bed. Those are issues I will seek hardcopies of - they were true works of art.

I’m just starting the Green Lantern Corps with characters I’m more familiar with but can’t wait to see where it all goes from here. Reading all of the New 52 would have cost thousands but with DC Universe it’s all possible for just $75 a year thanks to my annual subscription.

I love DC Universe and I’m loving this journey through the entire DC Universe. Back to it!

2 Likes

Ohh thanks for the link!

1 Like

Do you find it disorientating to read part of one series then move to another? Looking at that list, which is really cool, I don’t think I could do that. I’d rather just read through, series by series or else I’d get lost.

But reading through New 52 is actually a cool goal. Nice idea!

1 Like

A little bit, yes, but I guess I’m used to it now. I kind of look at it as if I’m picking up issues at my local comic shop each week/month. I wouldn’t wait to get all 12 issues of a story before I read another story so this is similar. There’s also enough overlap in stories and characters to make it worth doing - like O.M.A.C showing up in Justice League International and me already knowing who he was and why he was a badass. O.M.A.C fighting Frankenstein was one of my favorite moments so far as well.

1 Like

That is a good way of looking at it. I didn’t think about it like that. When I’m reading a full run I like to just read it, not jump from story to story. But I guess I do that each week with new releases.

I’ve read some New 52 but mostly main story lines. I’ll have to add the ones I haven’t read to my reading list now.

1 Like

This list I’m using does a good job of grouping issues together to complete storylines. There are some one offs here and there but for the most part they conclude a storyline before moving on. For example I’m reading Green Lantern Corps #1-6 which tells a story from start to finish and then I’ll move on to another series. Eventually I’ll come back for GLC #7 and it’ll take a moment to remember where they left off but, like a new series, I pick it up pretty quick.

1 Like

August General in Iron had a panel in Justice League International that was so rewarding and epic - it is one I wish I could have framed and hung on my wall. I loved that moment and yet had never heard of him before I started this project. Those moments make this whole thing an enjoyable labor of love and keep me reading “just one more issue” before I close the app. Plus I’m racking up rewards points quickly!

I got more into DC (apart from Green Lantern) with the New 52. It was very good at introducing me to more characters than I knew before.

1 Like