Reading Orders

I found a Google docs of any reading orders or is there a place where we have reading orders in here? and my bigger question is do we have that are chronological and not publishing? I want to know the best place to jump into some stories.

2 Likes

Its been a highly requested feature for a while, either reading orders or “by date” cataloguing. Its kinda approaching the “where is the PS4 app” level of questioning.

The best that can be done at the moment is to use outside resources like your google doc. You can technically filter by era & sort by oldest, but it appears to be bugged at the moment. It doesn’t return a properly ordered list.

The most problematic series for reading like this are the longest running, ala Action Comics; however, these at least have continuous numbers.

2 Likes

I don’t if @Nathan.Payson is around, but he has a great reading order list for the New 52 somewhere in this vast community.

3 Likes

I definitely understand, and I think it’s a huge project to do for DC, I think I was just curious if anyone in the community has done it.

1 Like

I have 3 notebooks packed full of reading orders. I did em all by google. It’s not as easy as you’d think…but it’s also easily doable. If u have any specifics I can always check my archives (notebooks) for u? Comicbookreadingorders is a good one. They max out & include even the optional issues.

That is a great place to look. Also for things they don’t have you can try comicvine, like this one for example. But they do sometimes get the order wrong, so it’s not the best.

1 Like

Agreed. On it being another good one. I use combinations. Usually, I’ll check 3-4 to see if it all jives. If not, I’ll find the one that has the same order as the others, but more issues. Then take that route.

oh yeah i have been using comicbookreading orders a lot. that is what i have been using. but i went to reddit and found someone made a shareable spreadsheet of a Spider-man 616 reading order. it is just easier to use. but i totally understand what you are saying, it isnt hard, but it is a lot of work.

1 Like

Right, that’s worded better than I put it. Batman Beyond was very hard. That’s only one besides Wildstorm. Only because their main crossover was called The Wild Storm so no matter how I searched it I just kept getting the comics. Finally got both ironed out tho.

1 Like

Yeah, my biggest thing is, the industry as a whole is intimidating, for people new to comics it seems daunting. this site and community does a good job of answering questions and helping out, but it is hard to know what questions to ask when you are starting out

1 Like

Best way is to treat it like a DIY project. Just jump right in & get going. More times u go thru it…the easier it gets. Some have multiple directions u can go with em. Those are the rough ones. I always go whichever has the most issues involved in those situations.

1 Like

I agree, that is where i found myself, but i can imagine that it prevents some people from diving in!

1 Like