Realization About Bruce Timm's Success

I was just watching the commentary for Superman: Doomsday, and Timm regularly says something like this- “I had this crazy idea to have Jimmy constantly chew gum during the movie. In the final Battle Superman would use it to stick the Kryptonite on the clone. Thankfully Dwayne [McDuffie] talked me out of this.”

I then realized he said many similar things in his other commentaries. It does show that he needs somebody on staff like McDuffie, James Tucker, Richard Fogel, or Paul Dini to keep his wackier ideas in check.

3 Likes

A writer is nothing without a solid team around them. Everyone artist needs a support group of people who both understand and support their vision, while also being able to get it in check. Bruce Timm is very lucky to have that. Now that’s not to say he isn’t a good writer/artist, it’s just that everyone needs those people to help balance out and test ideas on. And while the gum is obviously a ridiculous idea, in the early stages of writing it’s good to just throw every thought you have out there and then refine in on the good ones from there.

I’m definitely interested in listening to his commentary tracks. So thanks for sharing this!

3 Likes

They are very entertaining. The one for Twilight is the best.

1 Like

I’ve got to watch the commentary know because I had no idea about that McDuffie tidbit!

1 Like

Oh wait! I see Duane Capizzi co-wrote Superman: Doomsday, so Timm may have been referring to Capizzi not McDuffie

1 Like

Might be.