Remember, Remember, the 5th of November...

V for Vendetta originally hit the scene over 30 years ago in humble black & white, (before it was colorized in future republications). Yet somehow, this haunting standalone story continues to resonate with us, without any tacked on story continuations or reboots. Its movie adaptation hit the market to box office success, and its iconic imagery remains a primary symbol for underground change.

What is it about this small 10-issue story arc that continues to speak to us? With all of the changes that have occurred in society since the 1980’s, and all the modern works of fiction commenting on the current state of surveillance and government control, why does V for Vendetta remain core reading? And anyway, is V really the kind of hero we want to look up to?

8 Likes

“Eve: All this riot and uproar, V… is this Anarchy? Is this the Land of Do-As-You-Please?

V: No. This is only the land of take-what-you-want. Anarchy means “without leaders”, not “without order”. With anarchy comes an age or ordnung, of true order, which is to say voluntary order… this age of ordung will begin when the mad and incoherent cycle of verwirrung that these bulletins reveal has run its course… This is not anarchy, Eve. This is chaos.”

That’s all I remember about the story… or movie? I can’t remember if I have a copy of that or not.

(Could be both? I have a hard time separating them in my brain.) You definitely remembered a fundamental theme of the book, if nothing else! It seems like anarchy is being praised as giving humanity the opportunity to live up to its best potential, but… well…We might struggle sometimes with living up to our potential, even when given the opportunity.

Love the movie even though Alan Moore hates it

What does Alan Moore say he hates about the movie? I guess the implication that V is Evey’s father…?

V being Evey’s father i never picked up on that i will have to keep that in mind tonight when i watch it.

Alan Moore hates Hollywood and is pissed they also made Watchmen into a film

Well… without starting a fire, someone typing at this computer may or may not agree with aforementioned opinion of Watchmen. But I thought the ‘V for Vendetta’ film truly tried to capture the spirit of the comic. I wonder what he specifically disagreed with.

1 Like

He just finds Hollywood movies repulsive. He’s a tiny budget indie film type.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/books/2012/dec/15/alan-moore-why-i-rejected-hollywood-interview

One of my prize possessions is a picture of V that David Lloyd drew for me about 14 years ago. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I certainly understand the reasons why the film version of V For Vendetta might not be available today on DCU, but where is the original comic version? DC still has the rights to that, don’t they?

2 Likes

I love the movie and had the trade for a few years but never read it. I’ll have to read it sometime.

1 Like

@Vroom, no better time!

@christowhit.7544, the structure of DC Universe isn’t as clean as having access to all the comics. We’re currently looking into expanding our library and the best way to do it for both internal interests and our fan’s happiness. Stay tuned!

1 Like

Yeah I’ll remember it’s my birthday

1 Like

Happy birthday @emmacaro!

No…:sweat_smile: