Shazam! (1974)

Shazam! (1974)

Shazam!!!

6 Likes

Great to see this on here. I have seen Isis many times, but never seen this one. I will definitely be checking it out.

3 Likes

OMG SO AWESOME ! I had no idea they made a show like this back in the 70s , I never even saw reruns of it, look forward to watching it.

4 Likes

Also could someone explain why DC and Marvel, both have a Captain Marvel, an why DC has two names for Captain Marvel / Shazam . Were the two companies just trying to one up each other , and why the double name for the same character with DC Comics.

6 Likes

@GLSector3295 - Short version answer to your question is:
DC name for the hero was originally Captain Marvel. Shazam was just the word Billy had to say to turn into CM. Then Marvel sued because of the character they already had named CM, and so DC changed the name of their CM to just Shazam.

6 Likes

Great to see the real original Captain Marvel getting some love. Like how the Elder gods guide him through the show

Reminds me of Raiden from Mortal Kombat

Was " the mentor" ever in the comics or he suppose to be another character from the comics?

3 Likes

So riff worthy

So, I’m curious as to why they had a 23 year old play a pre-early teen. Like any one of those other kids in “Joyride” would have made for a better Billy Batson(age wise) than Michael Gray, but it’s definitely a fun show so far.

1 Like

One of My Favorite Dc Universe TV Series…Along with Isis…I think they had there shows together!!! Glad to see this series on Dc Universe!!! But I am a Die heart Dc Fan and Dc Universe Fan!! DCUNIVERSE is Awesome!!!

5 Likes

Was worried that it would be too… ummm… “dated” to get through, pleasantly pleased that I am finding it enjoyable in it’s own right. Onward to Season 2 Episode 3. Shazam!

5 Likes

This made my day!! I remember being glued to the TV on Saturdays watching this show. But I recall it being “The Shazam and Isis Power Hour” would love the old Isis shows too

5 Likes

This is an answer to a question on here shazam was originally called captain marvel but marvel comics threatened a law suit so to avoid any legal action DC changed his name to shazam at least I think that’s what happened I can’t remember exactly

7 Likes

@bobonthis2001.81070 I can’t speak for DCU, but I know that the Isis show, for reasons that probably aren’t worth going into here is actually not owned by DC/Warner like Shazam! is despite being a spin-off of Shazam!. So while it isn’t impossible (DC could always license it like other streaming services who have shown Isis (or anything not made by the service themselves) do, I doubt Isis is going for top teir money. But so far DC hasn’t put any shows or movies on here that they do not own the rights to. So sadly think seing her in the Shazam! episodes might be the best we will get.

As for the show… I enjoy it. I mean it is what it is… a 70’s morality kids show so it didn’t blow me away. But watching it for what it is it’s a fun show and honestly think it is better than Isis> I only watched the first episode and episode 4 of Season 3 (I skipped ahead since I am not counting on being able to get through the entire show and wanted to know what it was like near the end of it’s run). But I found it better than Isis (which was also not bad for what it was) and the episodes are a fun enough 20 minutes. Will likely watch some more.

3 Likes

Ayyyy, Little backstory before the main flick
Why Nott​:fist::+1:

3 Likes

It would be really great if they could add the animated series. I have several episodes from that series on old VHS tapes. It was a lot of fun back then and they had the entire Marvel Family as well as many of the villains.

9 Likes

SHAZAM! was originally a Fawcett comic, CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES, circa 1941. DC comics sued, claiming a similarity to Superman; Fawcett ceased publication, but DC purchased the licensing for the Marvel family and published new adventures (with the occasional reprint, especially in the 100-page super spectaculars) under the title SHAZAM!, due to the fact that, by that time, Marvel comics had a Captain Marvel.

Outside of the title, DC maintained the character name Captain Marvel for a long time (he is referred to as Captain Marvel in the Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League). To me, he will always be Captain Marvel, but this was apparently not the hill DC wanted to fall on, and I suppose that’s reasonable, although he can’t say his name, should someone inquire. (A trait formerly attributed to Captain Marvel Junior, who shouted "Captain Marvel " to change from Freddy Freeman.

Personally, besides these programs, which are a fond memory from my childhood, I wish the comics portion would post the 1972 issues of SHAZAM! Mentor was a new creation for the program, but he was incorporated into the DC comic by means of having Uncle Marvel (Uncle Dudley Batson) grow a moustache and drive himself and Billy Batson cross country in a van identical to the one used in the show. I believe that Isis showed up in one issue of that run.

5 Likes

Wow, I feel like I went back in time watching this show for the first time. I’ve always liked Captain Marvel. Looking forward to watching rest of the episodes.

4 Likes

I remember this on Saturday mornings! Thanks for adding it here! I’m gonna binge watch it! SHAZAM!

3 Likes

Thank you for bringing Shazam back! I have so many fond memories of this show and the CROSSOVER The Mighty Isis… Though I guess her show title is unfortunately more triggering nowadays.

3 Likes