Should Batman kill the Joker?

The question that is the center of many DC storylines such as The Kiling Joke, Under the Red Hood, Injustice, Death in the Family, etc.

What would be the benefits of Batman killing Joker? What would be the consequences? Should he kill just Joker, or focus on the other villains as well?

2 Likes

At least kill the Joker (or all 3 Jokers) He seems to be the worst and kills the most civilians and usually only does it to provoke Batman. Everyone else can just be caught and locked up until their next escape.

1 Like

He could, like, invent a better lock. If he’s going to go extrajudicial fascist, he could build an escape-proof cell in the Batcave.

4 Likes

No. Batman kills the Joker = The Joker wins.

4 Likes

Exactly what @DeSade-acolyte said.

1 Like

What DeSade said
Its the same with Superman in Injustice. Joker probably knew he would die, but he knew that he provided superman enough to kill him, and when he did, the justice league would be broken apart

Jason todd and barbra should. Do like a rated R animation. Jason and barbra being the villains. Have robin And nightwing trying to stop them.

3 Likes

Last I checked, Joker’s immortal, so Batman couldn’t even if he wanted to.

2 Likes

No. Unless there was a situation where it is the only solution, and that situation is going to be near impossible create when Batman is so prepared, capable, and determined.
People always think the justification would be “he’s just going to break out again and kill people”. That’s not a fair justification, that would just be rationalizing pre-meditated murder. All those deaths that will likely happen when Joker escapes, those are on the security staff at Arkham, the joker henchmen that help him escape, and most notable the Joker himself.
A situation like Bats and Harvey at the end of Dark Knight is an example of a when Batman should take a life and even then, I dont think death was the goal as much as the result.

3 Likes

This raises the question, should the insanity defense really matter in a court of law in the case of a man who willfully and knowingly kills in cruel and twisted ways.

2 Likes

Yes. He should repeatedly shove Joker’s head into a wall and then crush it like a watermelon with whatever is available.

Joker doesn’t win IMO. Batman does the world a favor.

3 Likes

Kill Joker. And then when Batman needs a change of villain introduce some Joker worshipers that bring his corpse to the Lazarus pit. And then start the insanity all over again.

2 Likes

He could but he shouldn’t. I feel like batman has given to much to joker, that is he has projected his code and morals unto him.
To him joker more than any other villain represents his ultimate test of will. Will he compromise on his code or not. So killing joker like, in his first ever time seeing him would probably not affect batman as much but as time passed Bruce has made joker the personification of his line, one he swore to never cross.
Plus, not killing him makes for great stories

1 Like

I love this question! It’s so interesting to see where everyone else comes from and the conclusions they reach.

It’s a tough one because, in my mind, it’s hard to draw the line on just how mentally competent the Joker is. I’ve always seen him as someone who certainly has a cocktail of mental health conditions, but he also openly lies to himself and others about what is symptoms are. He also uses them to gain pity and support, as he did with Harley Quinn, while downplaying his abusive and cruel tendencies.

Which makes me a little unwilling to say he shouldn’t be killed because he’s mentally ill. He might be, true, but he’s also in control.

Again, that’s just my take there.

But I also feel that Batman shouldn’t be a system. He’s someone who is trying to fix Gotham because Gotham is broken. It needs a competent criminal justice system. One that’s able to judge and issue appropriate punishments. Batman killing the Joker would break any hope for that because it’d split an already weak system down the middle. Those who are Batman loyalists who believe he was saving lives vs those who believe a masked vigilante killing escaped convicts is just too far.

Let’s keep this subject going, guys! Do you agree or disagree here?

1 Like

@Zatanna
I’d concur with Batman and it’s effect on the criminal justice system and vigilante view in Gotham.

I’d argue against your Joker point. IMO, The Joker may be the sanest person in Gotham. Certainly the sanest of all of Batman’s foes.
This is based on my view that Joker is a sociopath rather than a psychopath. He is perfectly aware that what he is doing is outside of societal norms/laws and just doesn’t care. He is gleeful, concise, specific & purposeful in his desire for chaos. In my view Joker is totally rational in his desired outcome. That outcome is just not socially acceptable. He is the purest definition of an anarchist. I do not view fully cognizant sociopathic behavior as mental illness, merely a choice. And not necessarily a wrong choice, merely a choice I may or may not agree with.
Obviously if one is to engage in certain sociopathic behaviors, one accepts that there may be legal consequences, but again, just doesn’t care. That’s my $0.02

1 Like

Well said DeSade

if heroes kill and disregard the law, make decisions on their own to this caliber…they’re no different than the villains. There has to be a line. Joker should only be killed in the instance where it is the ONLY option left (meaning you can’t take him into custody). Identity crisis really solidified my stance on this topic lol

I have to admit tho, they need a much better secuirty system. Maybe after X amount of crimes depending on the severity…they’re given the death sentence…idk honestly. But it can’t just be one of the heroes thinking…“I’ve had enough of this” kills said villain

3 Likes

SOMEONE should kill the Joker… just not Batman. I totally buy his reason for not doing it after all these years. Bruce is an unstable man, and he knows it. We have no reason not to trust Bruce when he says that if he gives into the darkness, he’ll never come back from it.

1 Like

I don’t think that he should kill the Joker, and I don’t think that any heroes should kill because it should be left up to the courts. There’s a big problem when you have people play judge, jury, and executioner. I think the biggest problem with all these Supervillains is that they can’t stay locked up. It doesn’t matter if it’s marvel or dc, for some reason nobody can stay in prison. There are constant jail breaks. How is it that nobody is capable of designing a prison that works. You have geniuses in both universes and they can’t manage to make a secure prison.

2 Likes

What? No…this statement just frustrates me.

2 Likes