So I finally read more stories with Harley Quinn

My best friend would tell me that the character isn’t all that great for him and recently I kinda tend to agree. Like its alright but I’m not as enthralled, and the relationship with Ivy. Maybe I’m just an idiot but its not that interesting to me and I feel like I’m some sort of weirdo for not liking this but yeah. If people have points that I’m missing, I would one hundred percent like to hear to see if I’m missing something

3 Likes

I love Harley Quinn, but I do think she works better as a true villain than an anti hero.

4 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with u, everybody likes what they like. If u don’t feel it & u tried. she’s just not for you. Nothing wrong with that, everybody loves a character somebody else hates or just doesn’t get. I’d say be your own judge, if your guts saying no there’s probably a reason. At least u tried before u questioned yourself & didn’t just say I don’t like her & I’m not giving her a chance to change my mind.

5 Likes

If you’re a weirdo then so am I. I like her but always found her overrated and especially the last 5 or 10 years.

I get why some are into her but she’s just not for me or you and that’s fine

2 Likes

You’re not a weirdo at all. I’m a lifelong Harley Quinn fan, literally. Started loving her when BTAS was airing. However I’ve picked up maybe ten issues of various titles with her appearing in them since 2011? Not counting White Knight.
This ‘modern’ iteration just isn’t captivating or interesting to me in the slightest.
I don’t find the HarleyxIvy relationship as depicted in the 2014 and 2016 runs interesting or dynamic. I liked the relationship/friendship a lot in previous titles like the Adventures books, Gotham City Sirens, Gotham Girls, and Cycle of Life and Death. It had depth. They had character. Nowadays? Ivy is merely Harley’s devoted, doting girlfriend- and that’s boring to me.
But hey, maybe none of her iterations are your thing! To each their own.

1 Like

I don’t think she works as a main character. DC is only pushing her because she attracts the young teen rebellious girls and their naturalistic exhibitionist tendencies.

3 Likes

I don’t think she works as a main character. DC is only pushing her because she attracts the young teen rebellious girls and their naturalistic exhibitionist tendencies.

Try her first solo run, Gotham Sirens, Suicide Squad(her first run with them), The Batman Adventures(her beginning in comics). I liked the new 52 but the rebirth is :woman_shrugging: however I did get a kick out of Old Harley and Heroes in Crisis has caught my attention, Batman Damned is pretty good too.

Oh yeah Gotham Girls, I forgot about it!! Lol

1 Like

Harley Quinn’s my favorite character, but I agree that she’s not as great as a main character. She works pretty well with Joker, Poison Ivy, or Suicide Squad. Wish they would get a Harley and Ivy ongoing, but the upcoming Harley Quinn animated series should be close enough.

Here are some pretty good Harley Quinn stories:
The Batman Adventures: Mad Love
Batgirl Adventures
Harley and Ivy (the mini-series)
#3 and #16 from the second Batman Adventures run
Batman: Harley Quinn
The Code (from Batman: No Man’s Land)
The Bet (Batman: Gotham Knights)
Harley Quinn Valentine’s Day Special

2 Likes

Am I the only one over the Ivy and Harley relationship?

Go home to Mistah J. Ya know ya miss daddy Harls :joy::joy::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Her relationship with Joker was beyond unhealthy though. She’s doing the right thing by not going back to someone who would bring her near to death just for laughs. Listen to Say We’re Sweethearts Again on YouTube from Batman The Animated Series and you get a sense of their relationship. “I never knew that our romance had ended, until you poisoned my food.” First line in the song and it just gets worse from there.

Lmao, she also wanted the violence and rage. Read her first solo run with her origin in it.

1 Like

Yes, that is true. But it doesn’t mean it’s healthy. Poison Ivy doesn’t like interacting with humans, but that doesn’t do her a whole lotta good, now does it?

1 Like

Idk some people enjoy the violence. Its called masochism. When a masochist meets a sadist it’s quite the pairing

1 Like

In the 90’s, comic writers were allowed to explore these ideas in mainstream comics (Batman, Lobo, Sandman, etc. )

But nowadays, there’s a lot of cowardice (in my opinion). It’s either, “we don’t offend anyone,” or it’s, “hey everybody, watch me be as offensive as possible, and applaud me for being brave!”

Harley used to be a complex and intriguing character. But now, she’s just cute as a button. She wouldn’t hurt a fly… unless she had her trusty bat! (And the fans provide the requisite giggles at how clever the writing is.)

2 Likes

Yess!!^ I’m a huge Harley fan and have been since 92 as a kid. The rebirth is lost on me and new 52 was pretty great. But original Harley, her first solo comic run? :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yazov, you know that song was not written for the show, right? Its an old song. Fun fact: it was included because Arleen Sorkin began singing it while in traffic with Paul Dini. Dini loved it so much he pitched it as a song Harley could sing for comedic effect.

1 Like