Superman (1939-) #423

Superman (1939-) #423

This was a great story. A fitting end to the post-crisis Superman and while I doubt the day to do a true “final issue” of Superman will ever come, at least any time soon. I would hope if they did it was half this good!

6 Likes

One of my favorite Superman stories of all time. I was born in the mid 70’s but was reading comics mostly in the 80’. I was fortunate and still caught a little bit of the late 70s Superman stories by Elliot S! Maggin and Curt Swan though. It was an interesting time when Crisis On Infinite Earths hit because it was a big transition and John Byrne came in to reboot Superman. I was very into the Byrne-era books like everybody else and I could only pick up the comics sporadically in the Philippines, it was hard to read things in actual order. I didn’t read this issue until much later, but it’s such a fantastic wrap-up and hybrid of the old and new Superman stories that I grew up with. Everybody seems to gravitate towards Red Son or Birthright as their quintessential Superman story. Those were pretty entertaining, but this will always be the ultimate Superman story for me.