Superman (1986-) #75

Superman (1986-) #75

I wore the pages out on this one as a kid. Broke my heart, but watching someone give it their all for others really stuck with me.

3 Likes

I had 10 comic books in my collection when my uncle Fred gave me Superman (Vol.2) #75. After that I had to know everything leading up to it and everything happening afterward. more than 3000 comic books later and still growing. thanks Uncle Fred.

4 Likes

Is this the greatest comic ever?

I actually never read this comic as a kid. My least favorite aunt who always gave me the worst Christmas presents one year gave me the novelization of the death and life of Superman and after that I was hooked. So I actually read it in prose before I ever read it as a comic!

This is the comic that got me into the hobby. Thank you, Dan Jurgens! BTW, when I read this as a teenager, I mistakenly found a really cool (mostly) instrumental song that fits this book really well. It may not be for everyone, but Metallica’s “To Live Is To Die” (from the “…And Justice For All” album) is fantastic for this. It’s 10 minute length gives plenty of time to read each page and admire the artwork (be sure to spend some time on the cover too before turning the page, make the full 10 minutes fit the book). Hits me right in the feels every time I hear it as an adult, because I think of Supes sacrifice in #75. It may not work for everyone, but it did for me many moons ago.

Unable to download

“Doomsday gets his!” One of Superman’s most epic moments.

1 Like

What is there to say when a god dies? Even worse, what can you say when a good man dies?

1 Like

Alright, so this isn’t my favorite story. Doomsday’s a little generic, and it’s a literal six-issue fist-fight consisting of nothing but Doomsday no-selling various attacks.

That said, even I actually teared up a little when it reached the end. This issue potentially works better on its own than as the conclusion of the overall Doomsday arc, though maybe it’s just the gravity of what’s actually happened.