Superman Cartoons (Fleischer)

Superman Cartoons (Fleischer)

Nostalgia and epicness X100. Max Fleischer animations are a treat for any animation enthusiast of any age from any decade. That announcer intro never gets old… “Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!”

4 Likes

Just started watching good stories good animation for the time so I can watch

3 Likes

Even 67 years after their initial release, these cartoons stand out as the gold standard for dynamism, fluidity of motion, visual storytelling, and brevity of plot in animation. I wrote a paper on these cartoons when I was in college, and twenty years later, they’re still head and shoulders above most animation today. The use of color and lighting is on par with the kind of staging present in big budget Hollywood films of the era. The Fleisher brothers’ use of huge set pieces for staging action scenes shows why animation has been the preferred medium for the faithful adaptation of comics to the screen since nearly their inception.

10 Likes

Dang I had no clue cartoons were around back in 1940

1 Like

Classic and wholesome Superman right here. Gotta respect it.

8 Likes

So beautiful.

2 Likes

I really get a kick out of the orphanage origin, so different than modern storylines.

4 Likes

I’m not going to lie, I got a little choked up when watching these. I remember having a few on VHS (ask your parents kids :wink: ) when I was a kid. I think also appeared before the start of other movies/TV shows I owned. It brought back so many great memories…I almost tied a towel around my neck and ran around the house flying lol

6 Likes

When I was little I didn’t know this was dc but I loved it was a dvd collection i still remember it today

1 Like

My Grandmom got a VHS tape of these to watch when I visited her back in the 90s. These were definitely part of my early memories of watching anything comic related on TV.

I have wanted to watch this for a long time. Can’t wait to watch this because it’s looks super good for a cartoon from the 40’s

1 Like

So very ‘40s, while feeling inherently modern, these refined the essence of Superman down to ten minutes of pure Truth, Justice, and the American way. Man of Tomorrow indeed.

1 Like

So very ‘40s, while feeling inherently modern, these refined the essence of Superman down to ten minutes of pure Truth, Justice, and the American way. Man of Tomorrow indeed.

5 Likes

These are on my Superman blu ray set, great shorts and supposedly the first time superman flys then they made him fly in the comics too.

1 Like

Loved these cartoons as a kid and love them even more now. The look is so crisp and the feel is so right!

2 Likes

I grew up watchimg these loved them

2 Likes

I grew up in the 90s watching these lol

2 Likes

I remember getting these for Xmas when I was real little in the 80’s and just being amazed by it. Still top notch to this day.

3 Likes

The level of detail that went into the animation is amazing.

5 Likes