Tell Us: What Kind of DC Universe Events Do You Want to Attend?

Hi, everybody!

We’ve been talking a lot here at the DC Universe offices about what kind of events we’d like to bring to the fans, but we’d also like to do one better:

What events would YOU like to bring to US? AKA, What kind of gatherings, parties, shindigs, festivities and blow-outs would get you out of our dreams and into our cars? Let us know in the comments below!

23 Likes

I think part of what makes DCU special is the fact that it’s able to digitally bring fans together from all over America — people who can’t go to these big meet ups. DC Universe is a never-ending convention, and that aspect should be played up. Unless you can arrange for travel costs, the best thing to do is bring communal experiences to US.

Beef up the watchalong functionality. Bring in more talent for exclusive Q&As. Maybe a service where we can mail you a comic and get it back signed!

Bottom line: Think long distance.

27 Likes

Some of us have not been to many if any conventions so bringing things such as panel discussions like you did at SDCC to DC Daily really helps people feel like they were there.

18 Likes

What Hub said

I cant walk, much less travel and more or less dont feel comfortable with people i dont know well nothing comes out of my mouth.

11 Likes

If you are asking what would get us out and about, well I am an out doors guy anyway but I don’t see y’all joining me on the beach or going for a hike in the woods. I think it would be cool if y’all did an event at comic shops around the country (specifically Memory Lane Comic shop in Wilmington N.C. :slight_smile: Maybe send a host from DC Daily or even cooler a MOD. to the event. Sending me free stuff is also cool.:sunglasses:

8 Likes

Something that shows appreciation to the fans adults/children.something thats within Detroit .giveaways,opportunities etc.

4 Likes

I think Doug meetups in the top 20-0 cities in the US would help. LA is hard to get out to but having meetups in major cities like Seattle, Boston, Atlanta, etc would help.

6 Likes

As for meet-ups and events, what kind of things would you want to see happen at these meet-ups and events? What are your expectations for the festivities when you arrive? (Trying not to lead the witness with suggestions ;p )

6 Likes

Just looking at the responses here, we seem to be all over the country, so finding a suitable ‘where’ seems to be the issue. So as @HubCity said, focusing on the digital community may be the best choice. ‘AMA’ style interviews with cast and crew of DC shows, and with comic writers and artists. Can you imagine if we had a DCU AMA with Geoff Johns or Neal Adams, Bendis, Morrison, Capullo, etc.? The wish list goes on forever.

I’m not so much a con goer myself (they seem to have less and less to do with comics every year), but those aspects of meeting artists, getting stuff signed, buying artwork, do appeal to me. Again echoing Question, being able to send a comic in to be signed, access to original artwork (or artwork as a giveaway every now and then), or even just something as small as a nice lithograph goes a long way towards showing appreciation.

And I’d totally hike with Aquamon. I just think we’re on opposite coasts. Sad panda. Could do a hike-a-long thread one day! Until we lose cell service…

6 Likes

• Photo-ops with standees or props like they do at the WB Studio Tour
• Raffles to win live giveaways of things like buttons or pins
• Cartoonists that will draw you as a super hero
• Themed food/beverages
• Games where people compete for prizes like free digital comics codes
• Meet-up with DC Daily crew if possible or people that write for the DC Daily crew (who writes all of the jokes for the sign-offs?)
• Music? DC and Water Tower Music have a plethora of great music
• Mystery that you have to solve before the night is over - either as a team or individual (could be Riddler or The Question themed)
• Chance to learn exclusive news about upcoming DC Universe projects or DC Comics

16 Likes

Maybe events to learn how to write stories and how to learn to draw

6 Likes

I just want to see what the Mods and Fans look like since I will never meet them not even MissInkBlot

At the DC Daily show

There were (I think)

Mods
Kitty Krawler who is not around any more?
Pretty Poison Bombshell
Harleys Puddin

Fans
JLSMWW
Princess Amethyst
Matt McDonell book club
Hub City Question

It is just nice to associate a face to a name. Also sometimes a fan name is not helpful as to age and other stuff unless they reveal somehing in Random

Pretty.Poison.Bomshell has had an awesome life, with ups and downs of course as has what little I know of warbabe who posts only occassionally.

7 Likes

Speaking of that fan event, the live band karaoke lit by the Bat Signal was an INCREDIBLE moment, and I’ll never forget doing that afterwards.

Speaking of which: how about some live DC trivia, with prizes?

5 Likes

I would love to experience some of the activations and setups from the cons you guys set up at. Would also love more anniversary screenings like the Batman Fathom events this year!

6 Likes

A writer’s workshop for some of the people one has encountered on these threads. It’s sometimes amazing how much potential they actually show.

3 Likes

Besides participating in a class taught bu Denny ONeil I ve done workshops online since decades ago. They can work

Anyone around the country can join. Any book can be bought through the free kindle app. The teacher doesnt have to travel. The bandwidth here is way beyound what i had in the early 2000s.

As long as the teacher knows their stuff and the students love comic books it can work at least a writing course which would help artists too.

I dont know whether their could be hundreds of students though. If it was limited then it would just be a perk for a few which doesnt seem fair.

2 Likes

Maybe Board game event with the DC Deck Building Game and Challenge of the Superfriends card game!

3 Likes

Allowing us to see scripts so we can see formats and we can compare to finished comics.

Giving short scripts so budding artists could use to draw from

Showing the earliest stages of drawing

thumbnails which both artists and writers use to layout the issue
Early versions of the page when figures are just circles
How to use Layers with Photoshop and Illustrator to progressive add more detail to the figure or page
Using illustrator for lettering
General Photoshop and Illustrator tools to use when drawing a page.

2 Likes

Maybe these books could be used as guides for writing and drawing classes?

The DC Comics Guide
to Writing Comics
DENNIS O’NEIL

The DC Comics Guide
to Pencilling Comics
KLAUS JANSON

The DC Comics Guide
to Inking Comics
KLAUS JANSON AND
FRANK MILLER

The DC Comics Guide
to Digitally Drawing
Comics
FREDDIE E WILLIAMS II
AND BRIAN BOLLAND

The DC Comics Guide
to Creating Comics:
Inside the Art of Visual
Storytelling
CARL POTTS AND JIM LEE

The DC Comics
Guide to Coloring and
Lettering Comics
MARK CHIARELLO AND
TODD KLEIN

1 Like

I found this:

https://www.newsarama.com/46374-dc-invites-40-young-girls-into-their-offices-for-writing-workshop.html

1 Like