The Brave and the Bold (1955-) #63

The Brave and the Bold (1955-) #63

I remember finding this at a convention for a steal (at least compared to it’s guide price) and thinking “Awesome, a Superman/Wonder Woman team up” then I forgot I should have taken into account when it was written.

I am not sure I can think of one comic that exemplifies what most found wrong about how women were written in comics prior to the modern age then this one. I mean don’t get me wrong, it was so stupid it was actually funny. But I have a hard time believing even in the 60’s a lot of women wouldn’t find this insulting. I mean I get the problem female characters have often had is especially up until the last couple decades they have been written by men. But I read ones like this and I think, “yeah ok it was written by a man… but has this man ever MET women, interacted with women… dated women?”

I am a firm believer we can’t fairly judge stuff written decades ago by modern eyes. But this comic definitely can be perfectly described with the old adage “has not aged well”. Unless you want to laugh at how horribly it has aged in which case it is kind of hilarious.