The Dark Nights: Death Metal Reaction Thread (***SPOILERS***)

That’s a no & now I want that so bad haha :laughing:. We don’t have that or In & Out burgers. I’ve wanted to try In & Out for as long as I can remember. Every celebrity on Conan or whatever show it is are always talking about how amazing it is. Such torture. Last one that I’ve never seen (I’ve never seen any of these btw don’t even know what they have) is Jack in the Box. Never seen one, not even one anywhere remotely close.

3 Likes

In & Out is good, but amazing? Nah.

I prefer the McDonald’s Double Quarter Pounder to In & Out’s best burger.

4 Likes

I eat 2 things from McDonald’s. Double Quarter pounder is my #1. Big-Mac #2 & chicken nuggets so 3 I guess but nugs are my side in place of fries.

3 Likes

Extremely Radical

1 Like

I love jarro…

1 Like

Ooh… that’s actually a solid theory, I’d be surprised if it’s not the case.

2 Likes

@TheTerribleToyman I nabbed a Dr. Pepper shake last night, and it was pretty good.

I never thought Dr. Pepper in shake form was something I’d like, but I was happy to be proven wrong.

Thanks again, TTT!

2 Likes

Justice League #53 takes the stage this week! :metal:t2: :guitar:

Regular cover, by Liam Sharp

Variant cover, by Ben Caldwell

Part 1 of “Doom Metal” sees a League like none other, consisting of Nightwing, Detective Chimp, Lex Luthor and more as they rock on against Perpetua!

What did you Guns N’ Roses think of this book? Worthy of entry into Paradise City, or leave it out in the November Rain?

Thrash out and jam on about the beginning of “Doom Metal” (the only Death Metal tie-in to come from an ongoing series) below! :metal:t2: :drum: :microphone: :metal:t2:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Blow out your speakers Metalheads, for this week it’s time for some Speed Metal! :metal:t2: :metal:t2:

Main cover by Howard Porter

1:25 Variant cover by Peach Momoko

It’s the drag race from hell in this one-shot tie-in to Dark Nights: Death Metal! Taking place after the events of Dark Nights: Death Metal #3, the Darkest Knight is after Wally West and his Dr. Manhattan powers. Thankfully, Wally has backup in the form of Barry Allen, Jay Garrick, and Wallace West!

It’s a knockdown, drag-out race through the Wastelands as the Flash Family tries to stay steps ahead of the Darkest Knight and his Lightning Knights!

Did you find this one-shot worthy of Headbanger’s Ball, or was it a one-hit wonder destined to thrash in the clearance bin at Empire Records?

3 Likes

My favorite Death Metal issue (so far). And here I am thinking it was going to be a Superman centric issue. Somehow it felt like there was intense rock music playing in the background the whole time I was reading. Eddy Barrows art was amazing and captured the action really well. By linking the past to the future, not only does it make me want to check out some previous Flash arcs, it also makes me want to follow the series going forward.

Side note: When the Batman Who Changed Shape is finally defeated (and he better get defeated after all this), it will be a very cathartic moment.

2 Likes

@moro If you’re riding the comic book lightning, then DC did their job on that book. :metal:t2: Thanks for chiming in!

New for this week!:

1:25 variant by Art Adams

Perpetua, mother of all existence, has culled all life and creation in the Multiverse, condensing all beings to one planet: Earth-Prime. In her quest for power and dominance, she rules absolutely and in totality, using her children-the Monitors and Anti-Monitors-as her heralds and destructors. But a group of heroes has banded together across multiple worlds in a last-ditch effort to stop her from destroying all of existence: Owlman, President Superman, Iris West, Captain Carrot, Guy Gardner, and others have chosen to make their final stand in a battle they’re destined to lose!

What’s your take on this week’s metaltastic multiverse adventure, metalheads? I’m quite ecstatic to see Captain Carrot back in action, along with (as the cover suggests at least) Stan Lee and Jim Lee’s Wonder Woman.

Read, rock on and write your thoughts on the book below! Also, how are you feeling about Death Metal so far, in comparison to where Dark Nights: Metal was at this time (a break between issues of the main series)?

1 Like

My love of Snyder burned very bright with his early Batman and is now nearly snuffed out. Death Metal has been hot garbage. It’s all excess and no substance. All of it reads like a bunch of friends got high and wrote down their crazy Batman ideas and sketches. They had a ton of fun and it was probably a great party but it’s turning into one of those “I guess you had to be there” because I am not entertained at all. And it’s going to be almost 20 issues.
Multiverse’s End at least had something happen story wise but the art, in my opinion, was awful. It was like the filler art you would see in old tie in comics when Pizza Hut would run a promotion.
I was looking forward to this event and now I’m just looking forward to it being over.
From the immortal words of Ian Malcom, they were so preoccupied with whether or not they could they didn’t stop to think if they should.

and I am so sick of music puns. (Edit, that’s not aimed at you Vroom. It’s been in so much of the promotion I’m just punned out)

2 Likes

Can you spoil it for me, so I don’t have to read the issue?

1 Like

I don’t know how to blur it out so
SPOILERS
I wouldn’t say too much more happened than in the other specials but it was a little more deserving of its own issue.
The story deals with multiple groups trying to take down the towers on the 6 remaining earths, which seem to be versions with evil characters who sided with Perpetua (vampire earth, nazi earth, crime syndicate). Green Lantern Stewart has been captured by Earth 3 Owlman and there’s a lot of exposition and rehashing between them of Perpetua’s origin. Owlman sees himself as the anti Batman so he has a mad-on for TBWL and wants to disrupt the plan. He explains he sabotaged all of the towers and is waiting for his chance but seems to need convincing. Stewart tells him about the other Crises and how there have been other Owlmen and produces a USB device with “Harbinger tech” (seriously) that has all of the info on it about the Crises and all of the details of timelines and reboots. Owlman sees that he has existed in all of these realities no matter what happens and since he believes he will inevitably return when the heroes win he decides to help by destroying the towers.
Meanwhile, the story cuts back and forth to the other earths. The heroes are putting up a fight so of course a dark bat lantern corps shows up to fight the heroes and there are versions of each corps in the color spectrum. The only one who stands out is a baby batlantern but it’s all pretty forgettable.
The Owlman part was interesting and there are some decent character moments between Guy Gardner and Captain Carrot but the other characters are mostly just background.
The towers go down and the heroes go back to what I assume will pick up in Death Metal #4.

That’s kind of a clunky summary so others feel free to fill in or correct me if I got something wrong.

My criticism of these tie ins is that they are just overextended plots and stretched out backup stories that could realistically be covered in 5 pages.

3 Likes

That’s why nothing will ever top Grant Morrison’s JLA in my eyes- Death Metal would have been told in 3 issues, 6 tops.

2 Likes

I so miss 1-3 issue stories. It’s a lost art.

3 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl:

4 Likes

I honestly loved these guys. I mean a Rainbow Batman Corps? Sign me up.

But I did like Owlman in this issue. He raised a good point about how he has always been Batman’s opposite.

Yeah, Metal might be dragging on in way too many tie-ins, but I’ve enjoyed most of them and it has been a fun ride, so far.

3 Likes

To set your text as a spoiler, simply put whatever you want to be blurred out in between the following code (without the spaces).

[spoiler ] insert your spoilers here [ /spoiler]

You can also click the cog in the top right hand corner of the text box and select the “Blur Spoiler” button. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

3 Likes