The Horror of DC

Hey everyone! I am a DC fan and a huge horror fan! I was curious about what horror based/leaning comics everyone is into? I am currently reading Dark Nights Metal and find some horror aspects (Batman Who Laughs is right out of a nightmare) there. I am also into Constantine, Justice League Dark and Swamp Thing (Rotworld was pretty creeptastic)! What comics have kept you up at night?

12 Likes

I love all of those. Rotworld is one of my favorite crossovers. The House of Secrets & Whispers are good for horror. The rest I’d suggest u already got nailed.

5 Likes

Awesome! I’ve got House of Secrets on my To-Read list already. That’s up next! :grinning:

5 Likes

I haven’t, as of yet, found one that really scares me. But I love how fantastically dark TBWL is.

3 Likes

I literally just finished Dark Nights Metal. I’m looking forward to diving into the Batman Who Laughs issues! I love the character designs in Metal. Fun read!

5 Likes

Have you checked out the classic House of Secrets series? Maybe they don’t KEEP ME UP AT NIGHT, but they’re essential DNA of the genre! I also really love Deadman, especially Kelley Jones’ work on it:
Deadman
Love & Death

Deadman
Exorcism

We put out a Showcase collection a while back you might enjoy, as well :slight_smile: It lists a bunch of different horror from across our service. But the above are my personal recs.

6 Likes

What does keep you up at night. The terrifying thought that Kelex may one day rise up against you?

2 Likes

The Outsider!

3 Likes

Thanks @Applejack! I’ll add those to my list and check out the Showcase! :grinning:

3 Likes

The Elseworlds Batman Vampire trilogy, do yourself a favor and read it as soon as you can. It’s one of my favorite Batman comics and horror comics.

3 Likes

Thanks! I love vampire stuff. That’s right up my alley!

3 Likes

I was into all the horror books back in the "60’s and "70’s. DC had some great ones back then: House of Secrets, House of Mystery, The Witching Hour, Tales of the Unexpected and of course, the king of them all, Swamp Thing.

3 Likes

Definitely check out John Ostrander’s Spectre series from 1992. It’s really good.

4 Likes

Just read through Metal, loved it. New 52’s Justice League Dark vol 1 was pretty good (I liked the animated movie too), and some classic Hellblazer of course.

2 Likes

These guys creeped me out the first time I read the book.

4 Likes

I love Swamp Thing! I’ll check out some House of Mystery. Heard that one a couple times!

2 Likes

Just finished Metal today! It was amazing! JL Dark was great! Reading the new issues now!

2 Likes

Saw that one on a YouTube list! Already added it! Thanks! You’re awesome!

2 Likes

I’m glad to see Batman Who Laughs on this site. It ran along side Year of the Villain with the five Infected books, so keep up with those and if DCU continues to add things to the library here the way they are you’ll see Batman/Superman right before Hell Arisen. Batman/Superman was AMASING!!!

I’m pretty busy with my Black Label books, keeping up with Batman because I’m SUPER excited for Joker War and my books from other publishers so I haven’t started Hell Arisen yet but the premis is that while Apex Lex was busy with the Justice League, Batman Who Laughs was raising a Justice League Who Laughs to face off against Apex Lex and Perpetua. The Justice League Who Laughs is just about the coolest thing I’ve ever seen!!! The Commissioner. Think about THAT for a second: The Commissioner Who Laughs!!!

Then you have the Hill House books from Black Label. You aren’t going to get those through DCU any time soon but I really advocate physical collecting and if you like Horror Comics it doesn’t get much better!!! Plunge Issue One just dropped this past Wednesday so it should still be available at your LCS and I’m absolutely TERRIFIED of dark deep water so I’m digging it…plus that last page really left me wishing I had another page fo turn!!!

1 Like

Oh…
And THIS!!!
I am VERY excited for THIS:

Yes…
That IS Wonder Woman yielding a CHAINSAW!!!

4 Likes