Watchmen Edited Version

If movies are sometimes edited on TV, why can’t the movies be released on DVD with the edited edition? If this were ever to happen for Watchmen, and they released a TV-14 or PG-13 edited version, I would definitely purchase it.

2 Likes

I don’t know. But that’s a good idea

1 Like

There was a company that did that several years ago called Clean Flicks, I think. It was a controversial enterprise because they were altering filmmaker’s films without their permission.

As for their DC home video releases, WB could release altered versions of select movies but it’s most likely such a small crowd that wants that product that they don’t feel it’s worth the investment or potential upset of filmmakers who don’t want their movies altered w/o their permission, or even with it. I side with the filmmakers at all times on all points.

2 Likes

I for one would never want this or see the need for this. I despise edited versions of movies. When I watch an edited version of a movie on tv all I’m doing in my head is thinking “that’s not what he/she really said” or “this isn’t what happened”.

2 Likes

@Vroom What you say makes sense, but it also denies the freedom of choice. If the majority of people prefer a gratuitous version of a film that shows a naked blue man in his entirety, sex scenes that leave little to the imagination, violence that provides little purpose to a plot and only for eyes to absorb, and profanity spoken that does not contribute to anything, then that is their option. But, even if just one person finds it amoral to view those things or has personal convictions against watching R-rated content, why should their voice be silenced?

While this may seem like an isolated incident of a fan of a certain material having to accept that it will be difficult to view the film naturally, the effects are more damaging. I say this because that means society has become more accepting of watching films that potentially go over-the-top in adult themes more than watching a “cleaner” version of the film that has the same essential plot.

I am also aware that if a director wanted a milder rating for a film, he/she would ensure that it is lowered in rating, similar to what happened with Batman v Superman. But, what is bothersome is when a director has an R-rated theatrical edition and then releases a more gratuitous director’s cut. What is the point of making two R-rated versions? All that does is dismiss the population that would prefer a PG-13 rating. The magnitude of not addressing this part of the population means that either now or sometime in the future, there could be another fan like me who becomes aware that cable edited the film, but he/she will not have the option to experience the film the way others did, and thereby eliminating them the choice of becoming a fan.

I apologize if people do not wish to read this long post, but I think it is necessary that all sides of a topic should be addressed.

1 Like

Censorship is the enemy of art.

3 Likes

If an R rated movie offends you or you’re against its use of imagery or language the solution is easy, don’t watch it…

4 Likes

This reminds me of the PG version of Freddy Got Fingered. Such a horribly good movie.

@JohnOnyx115 Saying censorship is the enemy of art is a black and white way of looking at things. In order to determine true adversaries, the concepts should be analyzed. In this case, an analysis is required for why there should be censorship and what would it mean when censorship is removed. If art should be allowed to occur without deliberation and/or guidelines, then it is a matter of time before chaos ensues. If desired, I can explain further.

@MagicNinja If you read my full response, there is more to my response then just R-rated films are “evil”. In the short run, yes, it is that simple to just ignore it. But, in the long term of choices and attitudes people develop as future generations become present, this can have a harmful effect on society. In layman’s terms, you give a mouse a little bit of a nosebleed, eventually he will want to see pools of blood everywhere he looks. Today, the movie is rated R, but in 50 years, movie viewers may say Watchmen would be rated PG if it was produced then. I’m not asking for removal, all I am asking the choice to be extended from requiring cable to popping in a DVD with the same edited material.

1 Like

Hi abfgmsw. Have you ever thought about getting a DVR? I don’t know if those things exist still. I’ve never owned one, but I can understand why you would want content from television for its edited purposes. I am a huge fan of The Godfather Saga which appears on TMC every blue moon and is an edited version of the first two films in chronological order with all the deleted scenes put back into the film. Sam Raimi’s Army of Darkness is often played on the Sci-Fi channel (I think its syfy now) which is the completed uncut version which was a dastardly deed to find on DVD. Seems like a solution, maybe not the one you’re looking for, but it’s what I got. Hope it helps.

1 Like

Comics code of conduct was a dark time in comics history. Funny enough what beat it was Stan Lee taking a stand against it because the members of Health Education and Welfare wanted him to talk about the dangers of drugs in one of his stories and he said no because by doing so he would be breaking the code.

To act like without censorship there would be chaos is just as black and white.

Thank you for your response. I do not have a DVR, but my parents did. That is how I was able to watch the TV-14 version of Watchmen. If I have the money to buy cable and DVR, I might, but paying all of that to just watch an edited version of Watchmen becomes both expensive and tedious especially when I try to record edited versions of films I want to watch (like It 2017) that take up a lot of space on DVR.

2 Likes

I agree with your statement. Too much censorship leads to fascism, and too little leads to anarchy. Then, the best solution is a compromise. Individuals that want censorship should be allowed a censored version, just as those who want to watch an unedited version should be allowed to.

1 Like

Fair enough. Just as long as they don’t make it a requirement for other people.

3 Likes