What Do Heroes Think of the Death Penalty?

Ok so we all know every superhero won’t kill, but what about the death penalty? Thats not them killing, it’s the law, the people. Are superman and batman(+every other hero) Ok with it?

6 Likes

Batman would not be ok with it. If he took in Joker and the authorities had him killed Batman would be beside himself. However, not all JL members would likely be against it. Martain Manhunter, for example, killed his own brother at one point cause of how dangerous he was so MM would probably be fine with it.

7 Likes

You mean like the people sitting down watching him get the chair? You’re saying batman would be there to see him die?

5 Likes

Very serious topic, I think they would be against it. If you read the first Superman comic, you can see Superman save a innocent man from death penalty.
It’s sad when you watch The Green Miles we see Michael Clarke Duncan’s character be put to death for a crime he didn’t commit.

9 Likes

Batman doesn’t have to be there. He can hear about it with his hacked communication system but either way he would freak out. He probably would try to steal Joker and lock him in the Batcave to prevent him from getting the death penalty.

7 Likes

True but that is an innocent man, what about a guilty man, like lex luthor or metallo?

4 Likes

I…can see that happening.

4 Likes

I think with characters like Batman, ultimately he would rather see the people he puts away reform rather than see them die, no matter how unlikely that may be. The only exceptions are with people like The Joker, and even there, there have been stories where Joker was being put to death for a crime he actually didn’t commit, and Batman struggled with and ultimately stopped it by clearing Joker’s name of that crime.

6 Likes

Well thats more understandable, as much as a monster joker is it’s only natural for one to think that one should be punished for a crime they did commit.

4 Likes

Actually New Jersey has the death penalty. batman does not kill because he does not want to be judge dread =).
Personally I am surprised no president has ever issued a executive order to kill the joker, nor why some senator or congress men from NJ has has not introduced a Kill the joker Bill on the state or federal level.

also batman is ok with the leagle system, however about 75% of Gotham’s major rouges are mentality ill in some way, which is why they go to Arkham instead of Blackgate. I am sure there is a green mile at blackgate.

3 Likes

I actually have thought of this

Against- Batman, Flash, Stargirl.

For- Green Lanterns, Atom Smasher, Hawkman, Black Adam, Powergirl, Dr. Mid-Nite.

I suggest reading “Black Vengeance” as the Justice Society debates this after Atom Smasher became a public executioner.

4 Likes

I don’t know, but I feel that they would not be ok with it. Batman and Superman believe that every life is worth saving and can be redeemed.

3 Likes

I will investigate this, This sounds very interesting and something I have never seen in comics. Out of curiosity, is it during Geoff John’s run?

2 Likes

It’s an interesting question. My instinct says Batman would accept the death penalty as long as it was legal and just. I’m 100% confident Green Arrow would not be down.

4 Likes

If they commit more then 1 murder or a gruesome murder then yes they deserve a death penalty.

3 Likes

Yes. It is when he was the sole writer.

2 Likes

Actually, this brings up another interesting question. Is there no death penalty in the US in the DC Universe? I actually never thought about that before.

As for your question, I think that Superman, Batman and Flash would be against it. Wonder Woman could go either way, honestly. As for the others, I’m not sure.

4 Likes

Wally West is for it

2 Likes

Now there’s another comic in my long list of comics to read

2 Likes

So you think the opposite of @Angel.Azrael

3 Likes