What is a good intro to DC movies?

I have a friend who hates DC because he associates it with Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League. I need to introduce him to a great DC movie that will let him see beyond the skeletons in the closet. What is a good movie or TV show episode to start with for anyone who is not yet a fan?

Road to Perdition.

The answer is Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

3 Likes

I am guessing dark, noir styles aren’t his style intro, so you could try a completely 180 with Superman III.

2 Likes

Wonder Woman

1 Like

Shazam sounds like more his speed

1 Like

Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Superman I, Superman II, Wonder Woman

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. Some of you are asking interest so: he likes… the OTHER COMPANY! (horror of horrors!) He liked Shazam and Wonder Woman a lot but has yet to really meet Superman or Batman in any decent form and wants more WW and Shazam.

Under the red hood

I second Batman Mask of the Phantasm. Throw in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

2 Likes

Okay, if he likes the MCU, then try Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.

1 Like

It kinda depends. For live action it depends. Are they willing to forgo massive visual effects as is the realm of so much of the MCU? If so, I’d go for Batman 89 or if they enjoy absurdist humor Batman & Robin. Superman I & II are very good movies but again, on the sfx scale, pretty mundane by today’s standards.

I think where DC has consistently bear out Marvel is in the animated space. JL vs TT, Justice League: Doom, Crisis on multiple earths, The Flashpoint Paradox, The WW animated movie as well.

Also the Elseworlds are an area I think DC is well above Marvel. I’d suggest both Gotham by Gaslight and JL: Gods and Monsters.

If they really want an introduction to major players in DC in general, JL: New Frontier and JLU series.

Batman 66

2 Likes

Trinity:

-Superman: The Movie
-Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
-Wonder Woman (live action)

Outside the Trinity:

-Aquaman
-Red/Red 2
-Shazam!

1 Like

@TheBatmanofNML Does your friend read comics?

1 Like

If your friend likes supernatural/horror stories try out Constantine. Matt Ryan’s portrayal on the TV series is more like the comic character, but the Keanu Reeves movie is worth checking out too.

For a fan of the “other company” he definitely has to see The Losers. It features Captain America, Heimdall, and Gamora.

For animated movies, I recommend Superman vs The Elite, The Lego Batman Movie, Batman: Assault on Arkham, and Justice League Dark.

2 Likes

Comic Books.

2 Likes

Wonder Woman movie

1 Like

For big live action films, I’d go for something like The Dark Knight Trilogy, but for something on a smaller scale, I’d go for either the CW shows or the animated shows like Young Justice. Maybe a few of the animated films like Under the Red Hood as well.

2 Likes

Thanks all! I think I’ll try Mask of the Phantasm, then one of the Superman movies or Titans animated TV shows and if neither of those work give up hope on him.

2 Likes