I need suggestions for what to read next.
Detective Comics. I’d recommend starting with issue #27.
Thanks, but why not issue number one?
Batman wasn’t introduced until issue #27.
See existing topic
I know I sound like I don’t know what’s going on
And definitely not the first to ask.
I’m all about Batman, I just don’t know where to start for the comics, so thank you
I’m going to support @AlexanderKnox here and second The Outsiders.
What Batman titles have you liked so far, @Bluelanternofsector2814?
I’ve actually been enjoying the detective comics, also I liked son of Batman, and death in the family @ralphsix
Ah…you may want to track down Death of the Family.
Oh, also, are you a member of the World of Bats book club? We read a different Batman story every week.
Death of the Family is my number 1 Joker story. Batman Black Mirror number 1 Batman story. Batman & the Outsiders one of, if not, my favorite Batman series. It’s hard to miss tho. Imho, I loved all the older & newer Bats stuff. Superman/Batman & Batman/Superman we’re great. Sorcerer Kings my favorite arc from Superman/Batman #’s 78-84. Metal seems to be love or hate, I love it. Rest suggested on here are all great.
Here’s some recommendations:
First, a few stories that are good for new Batman readers:
- If you’re willing to read old stuff, there were a lot of great Batman and Detective Comics stories in the '70s. Batman: Strange Apparitions (first issue can be found here) is a particularly good story.
- Batman: Year One is in Batman (1940-) #404-407. That’s probably the best-known take on Batman’s origin and a nice starting point.
- Batman: The Long Halloween is a great miniseries. It’s another “prequel” story about Batman’s early years, and I personally like it better than Year One.
- Batman: Hush is a much later story, but it uses a lot of the supporting cast and rogues gallery, and is very good about introducing them in a way that makes sense for a new reader. It starts with Batman (1940-) #608 and goes to #619.
And now, some personal storyline picks:
- The Knightfall Saga is a cool (but very long) story. You’ll want to read this miniseries, this issue (ignore the second issue), then this story arc, this one, and this one here.
- If you read Death in the Family, Batman: Under the Hood runs from Batman (1940-) #635 through #650.
And a couple general runs:
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight is a cool series. Up through the first 58 issues, it was just a bunch of standalone stories done by different writers and artists, so some are better than others but it’s pretty cool overall.
- Chuck Dixon wrote Detective Comics (1937-) from #644 through #729 and I love his work.
- Paul Dini’s Detective Comics run from #821 to #852 and he’s another of my favorites. One of his stories follows up on Hush, too.