What is the best Batman comic series?

I need suggestions for what to read next.

Detective Comics. I’d recommend starting with issue #27.

2 Likes

Thanks, but why not issue number one?

Batman wasn’t introduced until issue #27.

If you’re looking for a shorter series (i.e. one that hasn’t been running for 80 years straight), then I’d suggest trying out Batman and the Outsiders or Legends of the Dark Knight.

1 Like

See existing topic

1 Like

Thanks.
I know I sound like I don’t know what’s going on

You’re fine

And definitely not the first to ask.

2 Likes

I’m all about Batman, I just don’t know where to start for the comics, so thank you

1 Like

Ouch! :laughing:

1 Like

I’m going to support @AlexanderKnox here and second The Outsiders.

2 Likes

What Batman titles have you liked so far, @Bluelanternofsector2814?

1 Like

I’ve actually been enjoying the detective comics, also I liked son of Batman, and death in the family @ralphsix

1 Like

Ah…you may want to track down Death of the Family.

1 Like

Oh, also, are you a member of the World of Bats book club? We read a different Batman story every week.

Death of the Family is my number 1 Joker story. Batman Black Mirror number 1 Batman story. Batman & the Outsiders one of, if not, my favorite Batman series. It’s hard to miss tho. Imho, I loved all the older & newer Bats stuff. Superman/Batman & Batman/Superman we’re great. Sorcerer Kings my favorite arc from Superman/Batman #’s 78-84. Metal seems to be love or hate, I love it. Rest suggested on here are all great.

1 Like

Here’s some recommendations:

First, a few stories that are good for new Batman readers:

• If you’re willing to read old stuff, there were a lot of great Batman and Detective Comics stories in the '70s. Batman: Strange Apparitions (first issue can be found here) is a particularly good story.
  • Batman: Year One is in Batman (1940-) #404-407. That’s probably the best-known take on Batman’s origin and a nice starting point.
  • Batman: The Long Halloween is a great miniseries. It’s another “prequel” story about Batman’s early years, and I personally like it better than Year One.
  • Batman: Hush is a much later story, but it uses a lot of the supporting cast and rogues gallery, and is very good about introducing them in a way that makes sense for a new reader. It starts with Batman (1940-) #608 and goes to #619.

And now, some personal storyline picks:

And a couple general runs:

• Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight is a cool series. Up through the first 58 issues, it was just a bunch of standalone stories done by different writers and artists, so some are better than others but it’s pretty cool overall.
  • Chuck Dixon wrote Detective Comics (1937-) from #644 through #729 and I love his work.
  • Paul Dini’s Detective Comics run from #821 to #852 and he’s another of my favorites. One of his stories follows up on Hush, too.
4 Likes