What is your Favorite Genre in Comics?

There is no shortage of genres that comics can dip into, from horror, to urban fantasy, to mystery, and more.

Is there a genre you find is your favorite? Why is that? Let me know your thoughts below!

10 Likes

I really enjoy mystery comics. Probably one of the reasons I enjoy Batman.
Or just the weird and wacky magical genre. They just fun or mind boggling.
Not much of a horror person but some horror comics have been some of my favorites.
Not sure if it’s a genre but team comics. I always enjoy seeing a team work together be the bad guy with all the trial along the way.

5 Likes

I like Action Comics, Detective Comics, and horror comics. :wink:

5 Likes

Magical realm for me. Love it all, but nothing beats a good magical plot line imho.

7 Likes

I like mind thinkers, the type of comic that makes question reality, your existance, and purpose. I think the one that best fits the question is Fantasy/Magic, but horror is right behind it

7 Likes

I like mysteries, science-fiction, and Gothic styles. Think Joules Verne meets Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Or just think Batman.

I don’t like abstract of any kind. No magic, dream stuff, or hopelessly optimistic.

4 Likes

Positive and wholesome. If the world seems brighter when I close the book, it did what it should.

9 Likes

I like books that make your mind hurt. Must be why I love Grant Morrison so much. I guess Fantasy/SF, and crime.

5 Likes

Good question! I tend to love mystery, but I think the comics creative community has largely lost the ability to tell mystery stories, partly because of the hostility towards one-shots and one and done type issues. Mystery stories are not really sustainable as huge run-length plots, I think.

5 Likes

I’m not married to a specific genre (unless “superhero” is considered a genre), but I do I like anything with a sense of epicness… whether it’s a grandiose scale, meticulous plot, otherworldly art and spreads, emotional gravitas, off the charts action… ok enough with the superlatives, you get my drift.

3 Likes

Kind of like event books? or Grand scale books

2 Likes

I am a fan of more small scale really. Street level heroes are my favorite such as Spider man, Batman, and Daredevil. Don’t get me wrong Spider man and Batman still have there big level world events (Metal, Spider Verse). There good but I am a fan of mystery and thrillers somewhat relatable to our world. My favorites of Batman are Black Mirror, Heart of Hush, Grant Morrison Batman and Robin, and or Legends of the Dark Knight. Just street level stories with no big world ending event.

3 Likes

The action and adventure in Superman (2016) is my favorite.

2 Likes

I came back to comics in.1973 because of Marvel black and white horror magazine’s that were in a subway meestand

Some of the subsequent horror titles were very good like Len Wein Swamp Thing Tomb of Dracula and Man Thing.

Now I tend toward the super hero.

Also titles of quality like Planetary and Global Frequency by Warren Ellis. Global were all done in.one issue which is my favorite type of story.

I dislike very much Crisis and other crossovers beccause they disrupt the ongoing stories of the regular writers and Are not even incuded in lncluded ln the trade versions , so unneccessary they are.

3 Likes

That’s one type I enjoy, though those sometimes get too big for their own good, and I can feel a little lost. The current Superman “Unity Saga” by Bendis and Reis is a good example of something I like. It’s sprawling, from Earth to Krypton and spans past, present and future. Exciting action. With all that, I don’t feel like I’ve lost connection with Superman or his supporting cast. Lots of moments and decisions that affect character’s lives (for better or worse). That make sense?

Of course it’s not the only type of story I enjoy. I recently read Superman: Grounded, where he decides to simply walk across America, and I loved it. The physical scale on that one wasn’t large, but the emotional scale was.

3 Likes

There’s not any specific genre I’m particularly drawn towards. I think the best series probably combine several different genres. Maybe this is why I’m so drawn to Batman - you can put him, or a version of him, in pretty much any genre and make it work.

5 Likes

I love a lot of hopeful comics that can brighten your mood (ex: All Star Superman and personally Young Justice) I also really enjoy action stories like the Justice League and some magic stories like Justice League Dark!

2 Likes

I like most genres and am open to most anything new (if the art is good). But my favorite genre is the Western. My favorite series within that genre is the Jimmy Palmiotti Jonah Hex run.

Weird Westerns are also a particular favorite.

1 Like

I couldn’t give u a like b/c of all the Marvel characters, but then u said Black Mirror. All is forgiven, like is earned lol.

1 Like

Awwww @TurokSonOfStone1950. Crossover & Crisis no & Marvel yes??? I love the 2 things u dislike & dislike the thing u love lol. That’s ok tho, we’re still friends since day 1. I can look past it for us.

2 Likes