What Powers Don't Translate to Live Action?

Super Speed
Is it just me, or have special effects not yet advanced enough to make super speed work? Or maybe it’s the filmmakers conception of how it looks, as it’s either generally an overhead shot of a blurry visage, or slow motion where the fast character is moving regular speed. It’s actually made me a little nervous about the viability of a Flash movie.

Other Powers that don’t totally work

• Elasticity: Sorry Plastic Man, but i don’t think they’ve so far been able to nail a believable and not gross version of stretching.
    *Telekinesis: Always ends up looking like a person with a headache.
    *Green Lantern Ring: Looked terrible last time, and pretty hard to visualize it credibly, though i hope someone tries again.
    s-l300
4 Likes

I’m actually pretty excited to see Plastic Man one day in a movie. As in it being gross, I can see it being wierd to look at lol. But with the current CGI we have it can be “cool-ified

5 Likes

They can do plas easily, the cgi on Ralph in flash is really good, cant see why they cant do it with plas.

2 Likes

I think Flash on CW does a pretty good job conveying both elesctisity and super speed!

3 Likes

Assuming great budget, being powerless and fighting with fisticuffs might be the worst look. Most actors aren’t accomplished fighters so you have a crazy talented team to make it look good or settle for crappy cuts and angles which make for unconvincing and uninspired action scenes. On the flip side, Tony Stark can shoot rockets and fly via CGI, and that looks cool. I’d say the Winter Soldier movie May be the only place throwing fisticuffs that ever felt truly superheroic. Also, when powerless characters are running around in love action and people are firing weapons at them, it’s a bit harder to believe that all the bullets just happen to miss them. You can buy it more in the more cartoonish medium of comics.

2 Likes

They did a pretty good job in GLAS. I don’t see why they couldn’t do it in live action, besides expense. Also I think you’d need a construct designer, much in the same way animation has character designer(s)

1 Like

Special effects have evolved so much over the years. Flying used to look so bad and now it looks amazing.

1 Like

Wondering if maybe I’m too tough a critic after the responses above

1 Like

Genius-level intellect. Because everyone on the internet will constantly argue about how it wasn’t that impressive really.

5 Likes

I think that most conventional powers are able to translate well. It’s when you get into more meta or obscure powers that you start to see problems. It’s not impossible but so far we’ve really only seen things like 4th wall breaks through dialogue, and visually there’s not much to be done to encapsulate something like a character physically interacting with the fourth wall.

2 Likes

I think that Firestorm’s power would be really strange. It doesn’t work quite well in the Legends of Tomorrow Series, last I checked. Telekinetics does look quite strange sometimes. If any of you are familiar with sand… that would be hard to portray i suppose.

With some I don’t quite have a frame of reference, not having seen the arrow shows in years and most of the characters made with old cg in smallville.

But I must say: Plastic Man =/= Elongated Man
Plastic Man is more of a shapeshifter, making more faces and different shapes.

I do think there are ways to do this kind of stuff nowadays, but it might look strange. I’m sure most of this would work somehow.

2 Likes

Some of Swamp-Thing’s powers would be pretty hard to portray.

2 Likes

The Love Sausage from The Boys.

1 Like

That was gonna be my answer. Hes pretty hardcore earth magic and itd take alot to actual portray the stuff he could do. I jus dont see a live action swampthing looking near as cool as the animated swampthing

1 Like