Why do Hawkman and Hawkgirl both have two different origin stories?

I’ve been a huge fan of DC comics characters since I was a little kid and have read some comics here and there, but I’m not very knowledgeable. Will somebody please explain to me why the Hawk characters of the DCU seem to have two different origin stories?

1. They’re ancient Egyptian lovers who have reincarnated… repeatedly

2. They’re aliens from Thanagar

I don’t get it.

3 Likes

The Ancient Egypt origin stems from the Golden Age. In 1956 the DC Universe was rebooted with more sci-fi and Thangar became their origin. In early 2000s, Hawkman was rebooted and Geoff John’s preferred the Golden Age one.

5 Likes

Didn’t they explain in the current Hawkman run that he reincarnates across space & time? Hence the many different versions of him, the ancient Egyptian one included?

8 Likes

Suddenly I feel a bit old because just two origin stories for the Hawks is kinda quaint.

But yeah, the cleaned up version is what Shanty said and while I don’t know if the current Hawkman run talks about it, it’s one of the leading plots of Blackest Night.

5 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Everything was fine until Hawkworld, when the silver age Hawks, Katar and Shayera arrived on Earth in the post Crisis era having just been teamed up (instead of being husband and wife before-hand.) Then things got even more messed up when the Hawks n the Modern era (before Hawkworld) were revealed to be stand-ins until the Invasion. Finally, Zero hour came and merged the new Modern Katar with all of the Hawkmen throughout time… After that, It just gets more convoluted no matter how many times they try to correct it. I love the current series, don’t get me wrong!..But, really, the genie escaped the bottle a long time ago.
Your best bet is just to read each new series as it comes along and hope they don’t do a reality shifting event in the middle of the run.

4 Likes

Wow that sounds kind of complicated. I thought Captain Marvel’s New 52 origin was terrible, but this takes the cake.

2 Likes

the only origin i accept is Weirdo Bird Hat Gladiator Space Cop. the reincarnated Egyptian lovers are neat, but i think they oughta be different, magicky characters.

2 Likes

Because they’re the poster children for convoluted backstories, and all efforts to “fix” them have only resulted in additional layers of complexity.

2 Likes

The Hawkman (2018-) run explains a lot of the origin story. It’s a really great run. I’m enjoying it.

4 Likes

The problem with Post Crisis is they didnt start everything fresh like 52. I agree with the continuity issues created, but Hawkworld to this day is still the best Hawkman and Hawkwoman story. Had Post Crisis DC not been going on for a few years, everything would have been great. They just needed to do Hawkworld when Superman, Wonder Woman, and to some degree Aquaman were being rebooted.

Yeah but even New52 didn’t start everything Fresh. Green Lantern rolled through as if nothing happened and the Bat-books didn’t really get too affected outside of a few wardrobe changes. That said I really did enjoy Hawkworld as it was.
As for Wonder Woman, she actually was in the same boat as Hawkman in those days as her reboot involved her arriving in Man’s world during the Legends crossover which meant that she was never on hand for the Silver/Bronze Age history of the Justice League. (Black Canary became her replacement as a founding member.)

If you try to make sense of the Hawks convoluted continuity you may wind up in Arkham.

2 Likes

@baseballmaniac01.45870
I feel like Robert Venditti did it super well in Hawkman (2018). How he explained it of the Hawks reincarnating throughout space and time, while kinda shenanigans but shenanigans that make sense and irons out the wrinkles as best as possible. Totally recommend reading that series! I hope this origin stays their origin from now on. -C

3 Likes

They’re down to two now? Wow. I feel like I should send a card congratulating them.

The only confusing part about Hawkman’s origin in the Venditti series is that there are 2 Hawkmen on earth currently. 1 from the JSA universe and the other from the current storyline. As well as 2 different Hawkgirls. But they tried to explain it in JL (2018). They explained it as a bit of (I think) their souls being still connected with one of their previous incarnations who is still alive. But when they come into contact Kendra takes her soul back from the former Hawkgirl.
I think they have made a better explanation of their origins in the Rebirth storyline. It is more balanced and less hectic than any of his previous origin explanations. If you think Hawkman’s origin is convoluted, I really encourage you to read Hawkman (2018) and JL (2018).

2 Likes

Hawkworld is definitely the best interpretation of the hawks. Hawkworld Annual #1 actually does a good and simple job of explaining away continuity problems. But they really couldn’t leave well enough alone.

1 Like

Im always confused if they’re wings are real or not? Anyone?

They are made of Nth metal and don’t really operate like real wings. The expand and retract but they are in no way that I know of a functioning part of their bodies.

3 Likes

Traditionally, no, they are not actually a part of their bodies. They are a part of the Nth metal flying harness. Some version have presented them as being real, though, so confusion is understandable.

1 Like