Why do they rotate live action movies?

I was considering watching Batman Begins and the Dark Knight, but I didnt’t know they moved them.

1 Like

Licensing issues for the live action movies are tricky.

2 Likes

They definitely are. People including me wondered why some older movies were not on here. But I checked today out of curiousity. Literally every movie prior to the DCEU that hasn’t been on here is either owned by someone else, or currently streaming somewhere else, with the exception of Johnah Hex and a couple based on non-superhero imprint titles. And they might be tied up too but if not does anyone really think Jonnah hex or a movie no one watched based on an imprint comic most never read will “save” the movie lineup? Hell return of Swamp Thing was the only one I found owned by someone not WB/DC not streaming somewhere but even if DC could lisence that to stream on the channel would it be worth the money?

I know a lot are not happy how few live action movies are, but I think DC has probably given us the best they could, just everything is tied up somewhere else. Some would argue that is a point against having the service which is fair if they think that. But I don’t think DC could improve the movie selection, at least right now, even if they wanted to. This is what there is.

2 Likes

Not to nit-pic, but return of swamp thing is on VUDU in HD for fairly cheap. Also, it’s super worth it, that movie rules.

1 Like

Right now WB is in the middle of consolidating their digital media rights for a big monopoly network online. I’m guessing that whenever that happens, the reclaimed DC rights would trickle down to the DCU service.

1 Like

WB stills own all of their DC movies and shows (including the ones other studios produced that they then later acquired). It’s just a matter of Who Gets What with regards to which streaming service has dibs on certain titles and for how long. Then there’s Who Gets What with regards to TV deals.

2 Likes

Regardless WB/DC is ahead of the game as usual, than Marvel/Micky Mouse is. Even though Marvel is starting to end the shows on Netflix in order to as rumored move them over to their new streaming service when it gets up and running.

1 Like

So if they don’t have the rights to the Dark Knight why was the movie here when I signed up five weeks ago? I noticed Batman Begins and Dark Knight were on Netflix then went away when DCUniverse started up. I figured DC had them moved here for good. Also does anyone know why Netflix or DC Universe didn’t stream The Return of the Dark Knight? None of this is a critiscm, just wondering. I’m pleasantly surprised by how good Titans is and am enjoying seeing these animated movies for the first time. Just wondering what the future holds and how long before it happens. One more question, does anyone know when Krypton Season 1 will be available here for streaming?

2 Likes

Streaming licenses shift from month to month depending on the contract. It’s super weird and nebulous, but its like Hulu gets it for a month followed by Netflix etc. basically it’s licensed out so everyone gets a crack at it and WB can make as much $ as possible.

I saw Batman Begins on Hulu last week. I am pretty sure that they have a schedule of licence windows for various stations/services and they are trying to honor that I guess.

1 Like