[World of Bats] Batman: Creature of the Night

Hello everyone, and welcome to another installment of the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This week we’re going to go a little more Elseworlds and explore a different take on the Batman mythos by covering the four-part mini-series Batman: Creature of the Night, written by Kurt Busiek and drawn by John Paul Leon.

Young Bruce Wainwright lost his parents in a violent crime…and in the real world, no superheroes exist to save the day. But as grief and rage builds inside Bruce until he feels he can’t keep it inside anymore, something strange starts taking wing in the Gotham night! Perhaps Bruce’s grief isn’t inside him after all? Modern masters Kurt Busiek and John Paul Leon unite for the spiritual companion to the beloved SUPERMAN: SECRET IDENTITY, putting a new spin you’ve never seen before on the legend of Batman—and the dark emotions that drive him!

Here’s the link to the series.

This week’s reading will go from 2021-01-09T06:00:00Z2021-01-15T06:00:00Z, though you’re always good to bump up the thread to share your thoughts. :slight_smile:

So let us know what you think of this mini-series!

For questions or concerns, contact @BatJamags or @Jay_Kay.

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

1 Like

And if you’re looking for more Batman and Bat-Family Goodness that’s perhaps more in continuity, check out these posts by our wonderful family of groups!

First, we’re again collaborating with the Renegade Robins group, this time in preparation of the Robin War event by covering the first six issues of We Are Robin and the first eight issues of Batman & Robin Eternal! Plus, this month they are covering the first twelve issues of the Rebirth era of Red Hood & The Outlaws!

Over at Harley’s Crew, the group is discussing Harley Quinn Annual #1 & Suicide Squad #26-30!

Through the month of January, the Dick Grayson Fan Club will be covering the Elseworlds series Nightwing: The New Order!

Over at the Justice League Book Club, the group is covering the first six issues of Geoff Johns and Jim Lee’s Justice League: Origin!

And finally, over at the newly christened Birds of Prey Club, they’re covering a smattering of older material from before the group is formed, namely the Batgirl Special, The Huntress #1-6 and Black Canary #1-4!

If I missed one, please feel free to let me know and shout it out. :smiley:

2 Likes

So when do we get a comic where a girl named Diana Princeton takes a vacation in Greece and discovers that she suddenly has the ability to lasso people? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I mean, if Kurt Busiek were writing it, I’d probably give it a shot. :laughing:

1 Like

So I just finished this (it’s funny, this is the first story in a while or maybe even ever where I just picked it for the club without reading it first), and I really liked this. I thought it was an interesting deconstruction of what makes our Batman tick. Bruce Wainwright was a great, well developed character full of pathos and good intentions, struggling with trying to make this fantasy that works in the comics work in real life, and all the horrible consequences that come with it. Also, the art by John Paul Leon was just spectacular.

I’ll admit that when they try to explain “Batman” by saying it’s Bruce’s twin brother who died in the womb that resurrected as Bruce’s protecter was…a decision. I’m not sure if I like it that much, and wonder if it would have worked better if they just never fully explained it. But that’s just me. :man_shrugging:

What did you guys think of the story?

1 Like