Would You Watch A 4 Hour Justice League SnyderCut???

I’m looking forward to seeing this train wreck too.

1 Like

This exactly. I never see Daniel Waters blamed for Batman stuffing dynamite down a guy’s pants in Batman Returns, that’s always on Tim Burton. I never see anyone but Joel Schumacher get blamed for ice puns and overdesigned neon Gotham even though that’s as much Akiva Goldsman’s fault in the writing and WB execs fault for making everything more merchandise-friendly. (The older I get the worse I feel for Schumacher. Dude’s made some pretty great movies like Falling Down and The Lost Boys, Batman Forever wasn’t bad and I loved it when I was a kid, and he takes full responsibility for B&R. It IS a bad movie, but he owns up to it. Give him a break.).

The final product of a film is always, for better or worse, put under the director’s name.

1 Like

Besides, who wants to chant, “RELEASE THE TERRIO CUT!”?

1 Like

I’ll watch. I liked - but didn’t love - the theatrical JL. Very interested in how this could be different.

There’s no such thing as a Real or true fan not trying to spark a argument just saying. Also how did you like your own post?

Also about the snyder cut I would say maybe I mean on one hand the movie could be really good but on the other hand I’m not that interested in the Snyder cut and I don’t Really want to watch a four hour version of a movie I have already seen

That was back in DCU’s earliest months, where you could like posts but couldn’t see who liked them. He probably liked his own to make it seem like more people were supporting what he was saying lol.

1 Like

Oh I didn’t realize how old this Thread was lol

1 Like

Interesting post. I have very mixed feelings about the Snyderverse. I don’t think he is a bad director, but I don’t think Snyder gets Superman, and some of what he did with the characters did not feel true. Superman would NEVER say “no one stays good in this world.” And the relationship with Amy Adams’ awesome Lois was too fast. No fortress of solitude, just a 10,000 year old space ship that somehow still works. Krypton seemed like an unoriginal combination of The Matrix and Pandora from Avatar. The destruction of Metropolis in Man of Steel was way over the top. NO ONE would be a hero just one movie later if he was a part of all that death and destruction. And I get the idea to make it more like “oh see, superhero actions would have consequences” but it was too much. And comic book Superman almost always brings hope, even in the darkest times. Snyder’s Superman is the opposite. And let’s face it, Man of Steel took a lot of moments from Superman The Movie and Superman II and remade them in a single film. So, yeah, I don’t think Snyder gets Superman. And there are parts of BvS and JL that are just not right. The body counts in MOS and BvS are so high it’s a turn off. How many people did Batman kill in BvS? But at the same time I thought there were a lot of parts of MOS, BvS and JL that were well directed and original. I love the scene where young Clark is in school and he is panicking because his x-ray vision is kicking in. And Martha’s loving care of her child in that scene is moving. Love that Lois was able to figure out who Clark is by actual investigative reporting. The loving relationship between Clark and Jonathan was really good. You could see Jonathan’s internal struggle to protect his son, but you knew it was out of love. Plus Snyder’s take on Batman was pretty good. An older, experienced Batman, that was a continuation of at least some of the prior Batman movies. Reminded me of Frank Miller’s Batman. And how Batman defeated Superman was crafted in a way that I could suspend disbelief. The introduction of Wonder Woman and the interplay with Bruce Wayne was a little mysterious and flirty. Plus, Aquaman was great. And over all I liked - not loved - BvS and JL and will watch the Snyder cut to see what could have been. So I don’t think I agree that he is a bad director, but yeah, he does not get Superman, and I did not like some of what he did with the characters. Were there parts of the Synderverse that you liked? Do you think you will watch it out of curiosity?

1 Like

I don’t buy into the “Person X would never say this” argument simply because I’ve seen too many real-world instances of people saying or doing things that no one would think them capable of saying or doing. I’d agree that Superman would not be able to sustain this way of thinking, but I do think it’s possible for him to get in a bad headspace for a moment.

2 Likes

Your opinion/criticism is definitely a valid one, and I appreciate that you articulated it in a constructive manner. Allow me to disagree on a couple points though.

• The scene you mention “No one stays good forever”, I actually thought was very well done. You can see the pain on Clark’s face, since he knows what he’s about to do. He doesn’t want to fight Bruce, but he wants to save his mother. He’s between a rock & a hard place and I think it was very well conveyed.

• The Metropolis battle. Don’t really see it unfolding any differently when two beings with that level power fight. I suppose he could have taken the fight somewhere else, like in BvS. But this was like, day 1 of Clark being a hero. I don’t really find it that different from the battle of New York in Avengers. Replace the aliens with Zod and the Avengers with Supes.

While the characterization may not be what mainstream pop culture is accustomed to, for me personally, they don’t steer too far off the mark. Aside from what I think are the best action scenes in superhero movie, there were many moments that I thought were rather inspirational. Clark defeating the world engine, the Trinity coming together, Clark making the ultimate sacrifice… I felt that they really hit home for me.

I look forward to Zack Snyder’s Justice League and hope it’s just as good as the first two :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Yeah, that gets into more of a question about whether or not a Superman origin story should involve this kind of battle on his very first day in the suit. (I’d prefer it didn’t.) If that fight is happening in the middle of Metropolis, it’s inevitably going to be extremely destructive. The thing that seems to make people most uncomfortable is how realistic (read: 9/11-ish) the destruction looks. It’s far more sanitized in the finale of The Avengers (which is why I appreciated the subsequent attempt to unsanitize it in Spider-Man: Homecoming).

3 Likes

Valid point. I’ve always said a lot of the criticisms are understandable. In the context of the story though, I still think it made sense. He had avoided coming out for so long, it obviously needed something of great magnitude for him to go public. The 9/11 comparison is also valid, though I think the movie made it very clear how ugly the destruction was.

To be completely honest, while I do appreciate the introspective stuff and character moments, I do look for action in these movies, something I think Man of Steel and BvS delivered in spades, and part of the movies’ appeal for me.

2 Likes

@AlexanderKnox and @moro Thanks for your opinions and for listening to mine! Appreciate the dialogue. Good to get a different perspective.

3 Likes

You’re very welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t honestly think any fan is obligated to like any particular version. That comment was just a lighthearted jab back at the other side of the discussion for constantly posting stuff like “Shut up! It doesn’t exist!” which was totally wrong, or “It’s gonna suck anyway,” which you don’t know because you haven’t seen it.

The point is you haven’t seen it. Justice League’s cinematographer, Fabian Wagner, said “The movie that was in cinemas was 10 percent of what we shot.” Zack Snyder himself estimates only about 1/4 of the Justice League we’ve seen was his work. Other cast & crew have corroborated similar statements.

3 Likes

I have yet to see a Snyder film that I have enjoyed, but there were scenes in MoS that I loved. I enjoyed Justice League, but it sounds like that was because it was more of a Whedon film. I will watch it, because I’ll never judge something that I haven’t seen. I agree that Snyder has no understanding of the characters.

There is no other LOTR than the extended cut. That being said, I’ll give the Snyder cut a chance. I did not like MoS, BvS or Justice League.