Writing for DC

It’s always been a dream of mine to write for DC Comics and be involved in their “think tank” process to help come up with stories, review scripts and just be part of the dc world.
My friend and I started working on Darkseid War before Geoff Johns released is as well as a little bit of doomsday clock. It was kind of creepy seeing how our ideas were almost similar to Geoffs. I’m hoping I can come across some opportunity to have some type of career in DC comics.

10 Likes

You gotta start somewhere! https://www.warnerbroscareers.com/

5 Likes

Haha trust me I’m on there like everyday looking for anything that’ll get my foot in the door. There was an opportunity for exactly what I dreamed of doing but I didn’t have the experience they were asking for. I started preparing cover letter to show them my passion and knowledge of DC comics but by the time I was done, position was already gone.

2 Likes

If you want to be a writer, get some creator owned projects started. Get with artists & start making your own comics, then meet with writers at conventions & hand out copies of your work & politely ask for feedback. That might help?

5 Likes

Same I wrote alot of stuff in the past years ago when I was younger ( I’m not old now I’m only 26 but still lol ) and with friends we have wrote scripts of mangas together I just can’t draw at all it’s cringe so I just always write stuff and can never make it I’d love to talk to someone about comic writing it’s been a dream of mine forever but don’t know how to get into it

2 Likes

Freekick - I think Prime is correct: write, write and write more, create some interesting projects… instead of retreading existing tropes, try to come up with some different or engaging take on heroes/villains in your work.

Note: if you want what I think of as the “bible” of comic writing, by a recognized master, read “The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics” by Dennis (Denny) O’Neil.

7 Likes

Write, write, write some more and after that, keep on writing.

2 Likes

Spoke with a creator once who said come up with an 8 page story with art that shows you can be a visual storyteller

2 Likes

I would love to be writer on a Red Hood series. I even have a pilot and a follow up episode already wrote. Just don’t know where to go with it from here

1 Like

Every creator I’ve talked with has said the same thing. Get an artist together and do original stuff. Get known that way. Show that you can write in this medium and use that as a launching pad to get noticed by the industry. There are so many creator owned publishers that take submissions and, if accepted, will publish your comic and get your foot in the door to entering the comics world

1 Like

I heard you guys are interested in creating stories. If you would like, me and my friend run a Discord DC roleplay server with our friend group that we are trying to expand. What we do is you can basically pick up 5 different New Earth characters (pre-52 only, however many exceptions are made for New 52) that you own, and you can act as them in that character’s city/home. You do have to roleplay as them once a week or you will be kicked but we invite many people back and if you give a reason why you were too busy to roleplay we will not kick you. We call them “weekly roleplays”. In terms of the writing part of the server, what we do is for something simple like stopping a robbery or something that’s doesn’t effect the status quo for your character and the world too much you don’t need staff permission. However, if you are going to plan a story arc for your character you have to contact the staff about this 1st and we have our own editorial process (our editors aren’t very strict so don’t worry) to help make sure the arc is the best it can be and to make sure it doesn’t mess up anyone else’s stuff. Once a story arc is finished, then we will get to acting it out with our characters as soon as possible. If you want, you can even pitch arcs for other characters that you don’t own, but you won’t be able to act them out because you don’t own that character. We are welcoming to new members and hope you will join so you can live out your dreams of having those stories in your head be brought to life! If you want to join, here’s the invite link: https://discord.gg/7SWDgmV (If you don’t have a Discord account I’d highly suggest making one.)

“bump” I heard you guys were looking for some one to write stories for you
and that is right up my ally and I would write for teen titans & young justice